cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Year Resolutions

N/A

New Year Resolutions

Anyone given any thoughts to New Year Resolutions?
I'm going to learn how to do a bit more with web graphics for my forum.
Also want to enjoy myself more (don't we all?).

15 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: New Year Resolutions

My New Year Resolution?  Is to get my main site updated.
I can not give up:

• Drinking Alcohol I don't drink

• Cigarettes I don't smoke

• Gambling  I don't gamble as a rule

So I can not give them up for a new years resolution!
Me to also want to enjoy myself more by getting out more and taking Photos for my site it's my town to.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Gary I think you should put a comment on you town site about the fact that you are dyslexic, people who dont know you will think bad things
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how about one of these
jmd
Grafter

Is that your resolution Pierre to get a dog - if so get a Cairn Terrier! Smiley
Addnan
Grafter

I am going to cut back on gaming and concentrate on my education. Going to fail biology if I don't. Cry
nadger
Rising Star

Being almost perfect my only resolution, for 2010, is to be less modest in future  Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Not given it any thought but I suppose if I was forced to make some it would be:
Stop being so lazy at home... with the housework and with programming as my projects are never finished...
Stop letting the last 2.5 years of my life get me down all the time
Maybe loose some weight and make some proper plans for my life.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Get my windows and doors upgraded and redecorate for starters.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 121

Many years ago a friend and I used to write our reolutions down, place in an envelope and seal it. The following NY eve we would open them and see what we had acheived.
After a couple of years we gave up as it was soul-destroying to see all the things we failed to achieve or adhere to.
Generally, if you really seriously wanted to give up smoking, lose wieght, be nice to the neighbour, etc. you would do it on the cuff and not wait for a specific date.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mav
Generally, if you really seriously wanted to give up smoking,

If you really want to give up smoking...STOP, there's nothing clever or technical about it. But, you've got to want to stop in the first place. Cutting down, patches pllls potions etc. are generally used by those who don't really want to give it up, consequently, most of these will return to smoking eventually.
Gave up the fags, pipe, roll-ups 36 years ago. stopped dead, no mucking about, was tough for the first couple of weeks, made SWMBO's life a misery for a month, then she decided to join me about two months later, we've never looked back and are now the worst kind of non-smokers...ex-smokers and completely intolerant of those around us who do. And no! this doesn't mean I have an subconscious underlying latent desire to begin again.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Ditto.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I have a friend who smoked - wanted to give up - but never succeeded until.
Burst stomach ulcer at age of 35 ! and nearly died.
That focuses the mind wonderfully - and he's not smoked for 3 months so far.............
Fixes: 121

Quote from: Petlew
and are now the worst kind of non-smokers...ex-smokers and completely intolerant of those around us who do.

SWMBO is the same. She used to smoke 20 or more a day. Now she moans at the smallest amount of smoke frantically waving her arms around and coughing. As a non-smoker for almost 30 years my complaints to her went on deaf ears. At least now she understands how I felt Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My dad died of the consequences of smoking...he accidentally put a cigarette in his mouth the wrong way round and seriously burnt his lip, in spite of begging and pleading by my Mum he wouldn't have it attended to, until it was too late. The sore turned septic and caused septicaemia which eventually killed him. As a POW in Germany he chain smoked Weights and Woodbines and continued until his death (he was even allowed to smoke in hospital, as there was little point at that stage in stopping him) At the necessary autopsy, his lungs proved to be as clear as a bell.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.