cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Vehicle Registration Certificate

Community Veteran

New Vehicle Registration Certificate

This morning in the post I received a new Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) .  It is the same as the old one but is coloured red.
Apparently all drivers are being sent the red V5C document as a quantity of blank blue ones were stolen.
I wonder how much this is costing Undecided Undecided
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New Vehicle Registration Certificate

Less than the losses due to the huge theft of the old sort and resulting fraud.
They're taking some time to do this - well over a year I think, so hopefully it's just  a "top-up" using spare capacity in the normal process.
I had one some months ago but not had one for the 2nd car yet.
(Without giving too much away I think they may be giving priority to certain types of vehicle)
Community Veteran

They plan to have all the red V5Cs issued by November 2012.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've had the red V5C for quite a while.
Don't think its to do with vehicle type unless 52 plate Toyota Avensis's have suddenly become hot property. And not I would think to do with owner surname initial order, artmo's and my surname are not far apart enough to make nearly a years difference in issue date.
So I wonder what the criteria is...
Thinks...it maybe vehicle age order.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

I had my car MOT tested on Saturday and the pass 'certificate' I received was a print-out on plain white photocopy type paper rather than the official looking green VOSA paperwork previously.
The tester advised me not to throw it away as some others had done and said soon no certificate paper would be issued, it would all be online.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

MOT's changed some time last year to an online-realtime system with plain paper confirmation.
I recall that my test was "old style" and a fail but the retest was "new style" - some time last autumn.
What they then need to do is have a proper reminder system as with road tax.
Community Veteran

@Petlew, I had my new road tax for my car (2 year old) at the beginning of July.  I wonder if this is a trigger for sending out the red forms Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: HPsauce

What they then need to do is have a proper reminder system as with road tax.

The company that I used 5 years ago for my MOT, has sent me a nice reminder, in plenty of time, to book my next MOT  every year  since... with a voucher bringing the price down to less than £23.00
Needless to say, I don`t bother looking for another place to take my car....
incidentally, they failed my first test on one item..... the yellow bulbs had lost some of the yellow coating....
since then it has passed each year without them finding anything significantly wrong with it....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
Thinks...it maybe vehicle age order.

I think you're right. We've got three cars (2 off the road at present but both older than the 3rd). The 3rd one has had the new red V5 through months ago and its the newer car. The other two have had nothing but one sorn reminder. It will be interesting to see which one gets its red v5 first as there is a year between both cars.
It would make sense in some ways.. the more targettable cars will be the newer ones so the red V5s would go to them to make it harder for thieves however older cars are often targets for joy riders so its a double sided coin as always.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 121

I received a red V5C last week after sending the old one back due to a change of address.
Didn't actually register the colour change till I read this thread Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Sprite
It would make sense in some ways.. the more targettable cars will be the newer ones so the red V5s would go to them to make it harder for thieves

I received a red V5C late last year for a 2002 Fiesta so it's certainly not age related.
however older cars are often targets for joy riders so its a double sided coin as always.

Joy riders don't care about V5's.
Mathew
Community Veteran

Quote from: MJN
Joy riders don't care about V5's.

True.. I hadn't thought of it like that (full of cold / flu at the moment so brain not working properly)
Community Veteran

it's nothing to do with joyriders.  The change is to reduce the risk of motorists buying a stolen or cloned vehicle.
Community Veteran

I'm aware of that artmo, I was just suggesting that the newer vehicles (thus more valuable and targetted for clones) would probably be at the top of the red V5 queue - reread my original post. The joyriders bit was admittedly a bit stupid but you should see what I was getting at.
oldgeezer
Grafter

I've got two vehicles, and have received red V5 certificates for both of them.
The first one I received about six months ago was for my "high performance" vehicle, a  Shoprider Cordoba Mobility Scooter which is about 3 years old and not subject to MOT testing. I burn up the roads at a maximum of 8 mph !       Because I can travel at that elevated speed on the road (but not on the pavement), it requires a certificate and a (free) tax disc.
I've just received one for my other vehicle, a "slightly faster"  turbo saloon car job which is also about 3 years old.  
My surname would appear high up on the first page of the telephone book if I wasn't ex directory.
I think they must be using the same system as my old school teachers of 60 years ago. If it was something nasty they would select "volunteers" from the start of the register. If it was a "treat" then they would pick pupils from the end of the register "to be fair ! "  Angry
oldgeezer.
dick:quote