cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tv

MightyMouse
Grafter

New Tv

A little while back( I think it must have been Oct-Nov) I said that I was thinking of buying a new Tv as although my Tv is working fine it is getting rather old.
I asked you all advice on this, of which ( as always ) you were all most helpful.
I did decide that I would go for the  Panasonic Viera TX-L32E5B , but,  I stalled, as every time I looked at my Tv  I thought there's nothing wrong with it
and it gives a good picture, therfore feeling reluctant to cast it to oneside.
However, what was £389 @ Ritcher sounds & £409  @ John Lewis with  5 year guarantee then, has taken a big drop in price this last week,  now £329 @ Ritcher sounds and John Lewis, both with  5 year guarantee . Iam going into John Lewis to purchase a new Kettle in the morning ,  as the present one is on the blink , and will be viewing the Tv whilst I am there. ( 80 % certain of buying).
A thought had crossed my mind, as it is capable of  internet connection( iplayer etc) would it need virus protection ?
Thanking you in advance 
46 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: New Tv

Been pleased with Panasonic Viera 32" Full HD LCD set that we bought just over 2 years ago.
I use Roku device to run iPlayer etc - connects to wireless router.
Not actually considered whether Roku could actually run virus protection or how it could be installed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Most (if not all) embedded devices (Smart TV/STB etc) run a version of Linux, they are also run from a secure area that is not writeable (normally) and all content is deleted when the device is off. Hence no need for an AV.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Many thanks for your reply, most  helpful.
MightyMouse
Grafter

The Roku sounds interesting, but it appears to me that it would soon eat up my 10gb  allowance . Unless of course it is after midnight.
nadger
Rising Star

I only bought Roku on basis of moving to Unlimited.
It works well but didn't like Channel 9 on router.
MightyMouse
Grafter

I've just looked into what I'm paying  & what unlimited will cost me,
I'm  paying    £12.99  Plusnet Value 10gb   and just before christmas elected to pay 12 months rental in advance as it seemed a better deal.
Have just looked at the options, and it seems that I will now be better of with unlimited as it is now only £9.99.
P.s as I have paid 12 months rental in advance, could I get this deal minus rental  until my advance retal is up ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Line rental is irrelevant
If you are paying that on Value then you should be on a Market 1 exchange and then the price for unlimited is £16.99 per month
MightyMouse
Grafter

Thanks for your reply Jim, but you've confused me a little now.
I don't know what market 1 is,and it's not listed in the package options but Unlimited Broadband and calls is @ £9.99
http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/                      
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

We have a Vierra 42" and to be honest, my missus thinks its great but if you're picky over picture quality, don't bother. There are better out there.
We get goggle eyes frequently. A persons head will move and the face and eyes will move a split second out of sync with it. Very frustrating. Coment never bothered to put it right and didn't give a damn about it either - no surprise they went bust!
Yeah they're certainly nice TVs and they look the business but the picture quality is what would put me off another panasonic. Go and see one for yourself though, maybe we just got unlucky.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Not a problem that we've had with 32" 1080i 100 Hz set.
MightyMouse
Grafter

I heard they lost £7 billion last year , but it's news to me that they have gone bust.
As for your poor quality Picture, I'm surprised.  My present Tv is Panasonic  of which I have lost count of how old it is, but it'a at least 12 years old, could be anything up to 15 years old .
It has been exeptionall . It has never gone wrong in that time and I am getting a very good picture. Mind you, about 18-24 months ago    the picture wasn't so good .
Got a new arial put up, and now the picture is very good. Could the arial be your problem ?
Community Veteran

Doubt it, the problem was there before freeview was turned on in this area and now we have freeview its still there  Crazy
Gotta admit, it's been very good in every other way but I've always been annoyed by the goggle eyes. When I reported this to comet, that was their official term for it - a well known problem - goggle eyes.
As for comet, yes they went bust a month or two back. Where have you been? - It was in the news for weeks!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MightyMouse
Grafter

Apologies , hadn't noticed that you put Comet . I was thinking that you were refering to Panasonic
DaveyH
Pro

Viewing TVs in a shop isn't ideal.
They're set up in out the box 'Dynamic' mode i.e contrast and brightness cranked right up so the images 'pop' under bright shop lighting conditions.
Also the majority of people don't take the time (or know how to) to set up their TVs properly, leaving them on out the box settings with the various 'enhancement' modes on (which do the exact opposite) or at most adjusting brightness and contrast a bit, and then feeding them on a diet of poor quality material (freeview  SD channels) then complain PQ is poor
Take the time to set them up correctly you can get a decent picture from most TVs (fed with a decent source)..