cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Thames Crossing!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

New Thames Crossing!

So the government want to build a new crossing that may cost up to £5billion!
Great!
Or is it? The last one was supposed to become free once paid for. Instead they choose to cnotinue taking the cash and causing delays via the toll booths. Surely if they scrap these and let the traffic flow freely we wouldn't need another crossing?
Do we really need another crossing or are they wanting to build another long term cash cow?
YOU decide!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
9 REPLIES
Razer
Grafter

Re: New Thames Crossing!

Whatever. It's just another example of governments who say there is no money and then pluck large amounts out of their arses whenever they please.
Community Veteran

Derailing my own thread, another fine example of what you say razer is that I just saw on tv the new aircraft carrier we're building in scotland costing £billions yet the Ark Royal (which had nothing wrong with it) is now being sold off as scrap - in the middle of a recession?
Ah well not my problem lol
Fixes: 125

This is nothing new.
Back in the 90's there was talk of a new crossing from the Plumstead area.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Razer
Grafter

Magic money, Sprite. The money they don't tell us about until they're going to spend it.
'No, that school can't be built, we have no money. No, benefits must be slashed, we have no money. No, that hospital has to close, we have no money, just die you fuckers. Oh, wait, new river crossing, new aircraft carrier, new something else we want. Hold on whilst we squat and push ... *bing* - there you go £xxxbillions.'
Getting back to your topic, however, I did have a thought. Suppose there are two crossings. A + B. Crossing A has no charge, but is 20 miles further down the road, so naturally most people want to choose crossing B, which you have to pay a toll for, because it's quicker. If you really resented the charge at crossing B and determinedly drove 20 miles out of the way to avoid the charge, would it not end up costing about the same because of the extra fuel? So that in either sense motorists on balance wouldn't be paying more money.
Community Veteran

An extra crossing is definitely needed as a lot of people using the Dartford Crossing will agree.  The tolls do slow traffic down but not to the degree that it would make an additional crossing unnecessary if they were cancelled.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Razer
Hold on whilst we squat and push ... *bing* - there you go £xxxbillions.'

Grin
Community Veteran

Much the same story here regarding tolls.
Had a wonderful pair of floating bridges. If you were walking or on a bike it was free. You could sit down and relax for ten minutes or so. It was replaced, with great trumpeting, with a ginormous toll bridge. A slog to walk or bike across. The toll was meant to be temporary when it was paid for. That was years ago and the council are still making excuses about keeping the rising toll price.
Community Veteran

River crossings are not cheap to construct but they can be beneficial to the economy.  I think it is right that those using them should pay a toll rather than put the onus totally on the taxpayer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yeah, the good old Dartford Crossing was supposed to be free when it paid for itself. Which it did in 2003.
So 10 years later we are still paying for it. The excuse (what a surprise) at the time is that it wouldn't be abolished to improve congestion. It must have helped the congestion and environment so much so, that it went up to £2 per cross in October last year.
Wasn't part of the Thames River Crossing consulation, that they'd start charging for the Blackwall Tunnel too? Obviously they know if that remained free, no-one would use it.
You couldn't make this stuff up. If a company did this rather than the government, it would be illegal. Roll eyes