cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New TV set has arrived

johpal
Grafter

New TV set has arrived

A few people expressed interest in how I'm getting on with my new 3D TV. It arrived today and I'm pleased to say I can pick up the Freeview HD signal from the Emley Moor transmitter (BBC HD, ITV1 HD and C4 HD) using my regular aerial.
I made the mistake of setting it up next to my old, CRT set. Initially, the picture quality was a great disappointment. However,  with guidance from Which? and a bit of personal tweaking, things are much improved.
Haven't been able to test the 3D blu ray; it is due "next month". The set can upscale 2D to 3D; certainly there is added depth to the picture, but no great shakes and some distortion; rather like early attempts in cinemas. Text appears blurred in this mode. Switching 3D on and off produces a few seconds of unpleasant flickering, so I think there will need to be an in-house 'protocol' (etiquette?) developed. Having seen a demonstration  of the 'full' 3D effect, I know that better is to come.  Smiley
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New TV set has arrived

Quote from: johpal
However,  with guidance from Which? and a bit of personal tweaking, things are much improved.

I strongly suggest you try at least using the 'THX Optimiser' found on many Disney DVD/BluRay disks, or, the 'Digital Video Essentials' disk which can be bought from play.com, for the machine which you can play the disk on the image will be very much improved.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

thanks for the update.  What make is the TV?
Community Veteran

I would be interested to know if you found a TV  programme worth watching on your new television
johpal
Grafter

Sorry not to have replied sooner; been absorbed with the new toys. The blu ray player arrived today, together with a demo disc and the whole family have been watching it throughout the day. The full-HD 3D is as good as anything you'll see at the cinema, all in the comfort of your own sofa!
The TV set is a Samsung (UE46C7000) and the blu ray player is a Panasonic (DMP-BDT300). Both devices also connect to the internet. Having 2 different manufacturers allows access to different apps., but they don't get me too excited. The image quality of many YouTube videos leaves much to be desired. My internet connection speed isn't up to reliably streaming HD video (Plusnet/BT are you listening?) but downloading ought to work, if I can find the time.
I've rapidly become an "HD snob",  the picture is fantastic. Although the set is good at displaying SD, blown up to 46", it doesn't look its best. Having said that, HD improves the view; sadly it doesn't improve the subject. C**p  in HD just looks better than c**p, in SD!  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am fairly reliably informed that Astra  are doing Free 3D Demo items on the Astra 1 satalite at 23.5 E  (freesat is on Astra 2 at 28.2 E) - Sport
Music and Entertainment - probably on 10.803 H Tp55