cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Speed Camera's Testing In U.K.

Steve
Pro

New Speed Camera's Testing In U.K.

A new speed recognition system is being trialled in the UK. Called 'SpeedSpike', the latest type of camera uses number plate recognition to 'track' cars on busy roads.
The trial, conducted by the Home Office and the Police, was secretive until a House of Commons report unveiled it.
The cameras use similar technology to the average speed check units currently in use on motorways. The difference is that they can track cars in built up urban areas. If they find a car has covered a distance at an average speed higher than the limit, fines can be automatically generated.
Two places currently have cameras on site - one in Southwark, London, and another on the A374 in Cornwall.
The US company that makes the cameras, PIPS Technology, is hoping to secure a contract to install them nationwide. It claims SpeedSpike is cost-effective, and is proven to reduce speeding in busy areas, including outside schools.
However, the cameras have attracted criticism, notably from Conservative MP Geoffrey Cox, who said: "you always have to ask if it is really necessary to watch over people, to spy on them and film them. We will get to a point where it becomes routine and it should never be a matter of routine that the state spies on its citizens."
Superintendant Tim Swarbrick, chairman of the Devon and Cornwall Safety Camera Partnership, defended the cameras, saying: "average speed recorders have proved to be very successful in roadworks on the major trunk roads. They have reduced injury and deaths and we would like to replicate this positive effect."
53 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: New Speed Camera's Testing In U.K.

It makes you want to hand in your driving license and get on a bus. Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

These cameras are currently being trialled here in some Florida cities.  Guess it's the same company making them.
torbayguy
Grafter

I wouldnt have a problem with speed cameras, if ALL monies taken in fines went back to the local roads budget, but it doesnt, less than 20% ends up in the transport budget.
Its disgusting.
Abit like road tax and fuel tax mind you!
Community Veteran

I theory I don't have a problem with speed cameras, but in practise I do! Why? Because speed limits used to be straight forward but now with the reduction of speeds below the National Speed Limit you are completely reliant on the signage to know what the current speed limit  is. The signage leave a lot to be desired. I think it should be compulsory for all speed cameras to have clearly post speed limits 100m in front of the camera.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

From info on pocketgpsworld.com
http://www.pipstechnology.co.uk/index.php
Spike is not a new system. Manufactured by Pips Technology who are based in Eastleigh near Southampton, it has already seen use as part of the London Congestion Charge scheme and works in much the same way as Speed Check Services SPECS system.
Spike consists of a camera with infra-red illuminator and the ability to read vehicle number plates (ANPR). By comparing the time taken for a vehicle to pass between two Spike cameras, the distance between which is known, allows the system to calculate a vehicles average speed between those locations.

Community Veteran

Keep to the speed limit = no problem = cameras = non issue
If you don't know the speed limit is it indicates you are not focused on the driving, the signs are there.
Quote from: Spider
Because speed limits used to be straight forward but now with the reduction of speeds below the National Speed Limit you are completely reliant on the signage to know what the current speed limit  is.
Can you explain this to me because I don't understand it
Quote from: Spider
I think it should be compulsory for all speed cameras to have clearly post speed limits 100m in front of the camera.
So you can slow down to the correct speed limit to pass the camera. Then of course you can speed up after you pass the camera.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Santiago
If you don't know the speed limit is it indicates you are not focused on the driving, the signs are there.

Indeed they are - and proliferating. If only we could focus on the driving.
Traffic policing seems to be a lost cause, and as long as drivers keep to the speed limit and don't park in the wrong place they can usually get away with any other unsafe practice.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Speed limits are simple to work out - if it's a road that is streetlit in a residential area with no repeater signs then you can guarantee it's a 30mph limit. If it's a 40 or 50 limit, there will be repeater signs throughout the route.
If it's a dual carriageway separated by barriers with no streetlights, this will be a 70mph road.
The same road again that is streetlit will be a 60mph limit.
Simple!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Why is it that people object to measures designed to enforce the law?
For the people who object to paying the fines I think there should be an option for double points on your licence instead - that would make it clear that the intent is to stop criminal activity and not to raise money.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
WildRose52
Grafter

Jelv,
Neither am I too sure as to why ppl object to having their driving speeds monitored.
For the record:  people are being watched /tracked every single day in many different
ways, using various forms of technology - and those are far more intrusive than any
speed cams which are intended to prevent accidents.
If you have a mobile or use a site like F/Book you are far more trackable than you are
in a car - yet ppl choose to have /use those.
I would agree that speed limits are not always obvious, & therefore I`m not promoting
the cams per se, but rather pointing out the irony of objecting to one form of tracking,
yet going out & actually buying a different one (aka cell phones)
Community Veteran

Quote from: WildRose52
speed limits are not always obvious . They are if you look at them

Quote from: WildRose52
but rather pointing out the irony of objecting to one form of tracking,
yet going out & actually buying a different one (aka cell phones)
tracking some one via their phone is not likely to result in prosecution and punishment
WildRose52
Grafter

Santiago (quote) tracking some one via their phone is not likely to result in prosecution and punishment

EXACTLY!  and that`s the reason why there`s objection to one, but not to all the others.
Now, in contrast, if everyone (and I`m not specifically referring to ppl here)  objected to ALL of
these forms of tracking /monitoring then perhaps we`d be able to stop it before it goes any
further.
Strangely people only tend to object when its something which stands likely to hit their pockets.
Community Veteran

I don't care about speed cameras being installed. What I object to to is the justification for them as "accident prevention" and "road safety" which is rollocks
I don't care if someone is tracking me via my mobile phone, except when I am a mission for the Secret Service in which case I swap over to my government issue stealth mobile phone.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: Steve

Two places currently have cameras on site - one in Southwark, London, and another on the A374 in Cornwall.
The US company that makes the cameras, PIPS Technology, is hoping to secure a contract to install them nationwide. It claims SpeedSpike is cost-effective, and is proven to reduce speeding in busy areas, including outside schools.

"you always have to ask if it is really ne chairman of the Devon and Cornwall Safety Camera Partnership, defended the cameras, saying: "average speed recorders have proved to be very successful in roadworks on the major trunk roads. They have reduced injury and deaths and we would like to replicate this positive effect."
Ive quoted myself with two issues from my original post, If you pay attention to the two quotes i must say that you cant put a price on them, Also tracking via mobile can only be done if G.P.R.S. is enabled and actually it could save your life also!