New Smaller Raspberry Pi

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New Smaller Raspberry Pi

Hi All
A New Smaller Raspberry Pi Zero is only £4.00   Shocked
Shrinking to Zero: The Raspberry Pi gets smaller

It was launched in February 2012 with modest ambitions to give young people a small cheap programmable device - and has become Britain's most successful homegrown computer. Now Raspberry Pi is getting smaller and cheaper.
The latest edition is the Raspberry Pi Zero. It is slower than the full-size version (though faster than the original Raspberry Pi) and has fewer ports, but its main selling point is that it is so cheap. The Zero, which like its predecessors is being manufactured in Wales, will sell for £4 or $5. And subscribers of the Magpi, a Raspberry Pi magazine, will find a Zero attached to the cover of the magazine - possibly the first time that a computer has been a free giveaway.
Read More here

[Edit]
The Telegraph More on the Raspberry Pi Zero here
You Tube Click here
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: New Smaller Raspberry Pi

the flaw is the obvious lack of ports.
by the time you bought the mini HDMI cable (that no-one will have), the micro usb to full usb converter (so that you can connect anything to it), and a wifi dongle you might as well just buy the B+ or a Pi2.
it's good that it's small, but in reality you'll need to have converters and hubs hanging off it which kinda defeats the purpose.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The lack of ports is not a major issue for everyone, it depends what you want to use it for.
Regarding the cost of 'converter cables', if you don't have mini-HDMI/HDMI and micro-USB/USB cables already (I do) then they're not that expensive: http://swag.raspberrypi.org/collections/pi-kits/products/pi-zero-cables
The port I'd miss is ethernet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
it's good that it's small, but in reality you'll need to have converters and hubs hanging off it which kinda defeats the purpose.

But when used in embedded projects using he GPIO interface, as most mini-computer projects tend to be these days, then extraneous sockets and cables are not needed, so it's perfect for the project builder who wants a small footprint computer to run their creation... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I agree, it is like a big brother of the Arduino nano. With loads more ram and processing power.
It is also FREE on the cover of the Magpi mag if you can find one.
Community Veteran

i'll stick with my Pi2 and the couple of B+'s that i have.
Community Veteran

I have one of the first british batch of Wales-made Pi B's somewhere, wasn't meant to be released at the time, but was, and I got one... Grin
Never found a use for it though, I just wanted it for the hardware aspect, ain't a software guy me... Grin
Community Veteran

i agree with twocvbloke.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

i use mine for media players attached to TVs.
they work excellent as those.
in fact, i have plex server running on a Pi2 (along with sonarr, couchpotato, sabnzbd etc) and the B+'s as the plex media players.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I have several dotted about the house. Media players, internet radio player, etc. And a development one for playing with.
Picked up the MagPi mag today with the free PiZero on it. WOW it is SMALL. Need to get a header soldered on then use it as my development one. Add a OTG cable and should be good to go.
Only takes ~170mA which is a lot less than the B's I use.
Edit: just ordered some adapters from Aliexpress, <£1 delivered for the 2, hdmi & otg
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I gotta say thats certainly exciting.
With regards to the cables and adapters hanging off all over the place arguement its horses for courses. It will suit some people and others will find it won't suit them.
At the moment I have 10 arduino nanos floating around unused (actually it may be 11) plus one that has a thermal sensor connected to it running on the desk as I speak (the temperature of the carpet is 18C).
My point is that you can't do everything on an arduino.. and the original Pi is a bit of a current hog at 700mA and it is a bit big. If you only need something tiny but with more power than an arduino mega then this is perfect.
Of course it would be overkill for my cars temp sensor / fan controller bodge... but I could certainly find uses for those new tiny Pi's and at that price, they're going to end up everywhere in my place.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I wanted to get one of them Pi Zeros & th emagazine, but, the local tesco never stocks anything I want, newsagent had no idea what I was talking about, and online was sold out of magazine, the Pi (£4), and the Pi kit (£8, which is the Pi Zero, USB & HDMI adaptors, and a 40pin header for the GPIO), dangit!! Roll eyes
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

They've created a map of UK stockists of the mag, doesnt mean they'll have any left in stock of course but handy to know where to look
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/how-to-get-magpi-40/
My daughter found some in a WHS and she picked me a couple up and they had quite a few left apparently.

Community Veteran

Seems I'm in a "bermuda trapezoid" of no stockists within walking distance... Roll eyes
And of course the tesco over in consett has it but the one I live 5 minutes walk from doesn't, I hate tesco, I hope they go out of business soon...
Community Veteran

If you're in to nostalgia, you can run RISC OS on it...
http://www.riscository.com/2015/new-raspberry-pi-model/