cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SCAM Invoice.....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

New SCAM Invoice.....

Just received the following... you may like to pass it on to anyone you feel is vulnerable to this kind of scam invoice.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date: 15 February 2017

FAO - Purchase Ledger Dept.

Reminder

Immediate Action Required

5390 611 2116
WLW43
Dear Sir/Madam

We have been instructed to act on behalf of our client, BRAKE AWAY SCHOOL OF MOTORING, with reference to your company's overdue account, the balance of which now totals 454.52 GBP. This amount comprises of:

Overdue Invoices: 412.47 GBP
Interest: 2.05 GBP
Late Payment Compensation: 40.00 GBP

Some of these overdue monies date back as far as 17/01/2017 and you will appreciate that our client cannot wait indefinitely for this matter to be settled. If you have any queries with your account please telephone our client's credit control department on 5390 611 2116.

Please see below for ways to pay.

Yours faithfully

Charlie Berry
Interest and compensation may be claimed under The Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 or under the terms of our client’s contract.

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error please notify us immediately and delete all copies from your system.

We make every effort to keep our network free from viruses but take no responsibility for any viruses once this e-mail has been transmitted.

Top Service Ltd is Registered in England & Wales No. 3662973
Registered Office Address: 93a Heming Road, Washford Industrial Estate, Redditch, Worcestershire B98 0EA.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have passed a full copy of this email to the West Mercia Police for further investigation... as the Registered address falls within their area of operations.

Points to note... I never went to any driving school....    I passed my test over half a century ago... and they are trying to get me to pay an invoice dated January this year  ! ! .

There are 5 other points that give me good reason to think it is a criminal activity... but you will all know what they are...! ! !

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed dodgy link

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: New SCAM Invoice.....

One very simple way to spot a scam like this is how they write out the values, 412.47 GBP instead of £412.47, and of course the "Dear Sir/Madam" instead of the name of the recipient, but then we all know all that, or at least I hope we all do... Shocked

Community Veteran

Here is the text of the reply from "West Mercia Police".... 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have read your email, as this is believed to be attempted fraud through means of email it will need to be reported to Action Fraud - they are the fraud department of the Police.

Their details can be found online.

Many thanks,

Contact Us - West Mercia Police.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Erm..... should it not be done by them? and not sent back to me to action  ? ? ? ?  

I will, report it to Action Fraud................ https://reportlite.actionfraud.police.uk/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Friend of mine had his credit card cloned the other week and ran up a lot of debt... was told by police to report it to Action Fraud as well. It would seem that these types of things are not dealt with by the police anymore. I think if AF needed to get the police involved in a case, they would contact them and get them to weigh in on the situation.

At least that is what was said to my friend by his friends who are police officers.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran

@jaread83  Well, the link is to "Action Fraud - Police"... and the reply from the email I sent to the

NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk

email address came from the "City of London Police"... it was an automated reply... but "police" seems to indicate that Action Fraud, IS a police department...

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

From  http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/about-us/who-we-are

The service is run by the City of London Police working alongside the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau who are responsible for assessment of the reports and to ensure that your fraud reports reach the right place. The City of London Police is the national policing lead for economic crime.

When you report to us you will receive a police crime reference number. Reports taken are passed to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau. Action Fraud does not investigate the cases and cannot advise you on the progress of a case.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The cheek of these crooks. I didn't need lessons. I bought a perfectly good driving licence in Bombay. Wink

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

As a rule of thumb if someone I've never heard of asks me for money the email gets blocked, end of!

Likewise if I receive any emails where they fail to address me by name they also get treated with caution.

Out of interest I just used street view on Google Maps and 93a doesn't exist in that industrial estate. The unit numbers stop at 90.

Comforting that the Police were keen to pass the buck! In my day we had to forward such complaints to the relevant department ourselves, not leave it to the aggrieved to take action. 

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Not sure I like the sound of a school of motoring called Brake Away, and the phone number is highly unusual.  As for the address, perhaps it's like Harry Potter's platform 9 3/4?  The GBP is a dead giveaway though.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

MKSlinky wrote:

As a rule of thumb if someone I've never heard of asks me for money the email gets blocked, end of!

Likewise if I receive any emails where they fail to address me by name they also get treated with caution.

Out of interest I just used street view on Google Maps and 93a doesn't exist in that industrial estate. The unit numbers stop at 90.

Comforting that the Police were keen to pass the buck! In my day we had to forward such complaints to the relevant department ourselves, not leave it to the aggrieved to take action. 

And there's also this. I think it might be more definitive of an address's existence.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Interestingly, there was a news item this morning on BBC news... that HMRC have named and shamed 150 companies that are paying staff below the "living wage".... and one of the firms was "Debenhams"...

A couple of hours later, I received ( to the same email address as the original on this thread).. the following from......

xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.hmrc.gov.uk

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Spacer Graphic
HM Revenue and CustomsSpacer Graphic

We got the money from you without your knowledge. Perhaps your account was unauthorized access.
If you send money, please confirm the transaction. If not sent, refer to the document below for more details.

Th ere was a Link here to "view details" 

PLEASE NOTE: This is an automatically generated email. Please do not reply as the email address is not monitored for received mail.

Sent on behalf of HMRC by GovDelivery