Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Runway for London.

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: New Runway for London.

Quote from: nanotm
...  given they expect to start planning the spacex port around the current Exeter airport /

First I've heard of that, could you provide a source?
The only references I can find linking 'spacex' and 'Exeter' refer to an art gallery and a 'contemporary art organisation'.
Edit: Typo
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Quote from: PeterLoftus
The problem for the airlines and passengers is that they want to travel to London Heathrow. That is the major hub with the connections and the reputation. It's a brand which sells.
Politicians and pressure groups can blow off all they like but they can't make people want to use their creation. But they can spoil what we've got very easily  Angry
Not sure about that, with all the problems at Heathrow I suspect it's a matter of travellers having no choice but to use it.
I would do anything to avoid going to Heathrow, if  I cannot fly direct from Manchester, Liverpool or one of the smaller airports I would rather change my destination than go to Heathrow.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: RobPN
Quote from: nanotm
...  given they expect to start planning the spacex port around the current Exeter airport /

First I've heard of that, could you provide a source?
The only references I can find linking 'spacex' and 'Exeter' refer to an art gallery and a 'contemporary art organisation'.
Edit: Typo

it was something said during one of many speeches on the parliament channel couldn't even tell you which government minister said it, I do know it was to do with them announcing there would be an official EU bid to host the space port in the UK and other bids were to be expected from other EU nations /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
I would do anything to avoid going to Heathrow, if  I cannot fly direct from Manchester, I would rather change my destination than go to Heathrow.

Agree entirely.
Community Veteran

One of the questions is what percentage of people arriving at LHR are making a connecting flight, if to make that connection involved transferring to LGW or another location, lets say that adds 2 hours to the transfer time, that will make a large portion of those people choose to go via different airport (AMS, CDG or FRA) to make that connection with less hassle.
So is the number of people making a connection a large or small percentage of total traffic through LHR? Assume many will make alternative travel plans and avoid LHR if they have to go a long way to their next connection.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Passenger numbers
Number of passengers arriving and departing per day: average 201,000 (split 50/50 between arriving and departing)
Number of passengers arriving and departing in 2014: 73.4 million
Busiest day ever recorded (passenger numbers): 17 August 2014 with 241,412
Busiest year ever recorded (passenger numbers): 2014 with 73.4 million
Percentage of international passengers in 2014: 93% (68.1 million)
Percentage of domestic passengers in 2014: 7% (5.3 million)
Percentage of business travellers in 2014: 30% (22.2 million)
Percentage of other leisure travellers in 2014: 70% (51.2 million)
Percentage of transfer passengers in 2014: 36% (26.3 million)

from http://www.heathrow.com/company/company-news-and-information/company-information/facts-and-figures
Community Veteran

LCY is the best UK airport.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

What's LCY ?
Community Veteran

London City Airport. 
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

"Bradley Field" is my favorite
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Percentage of transfer passengers in 2014: 36% (26.3 million)

So 36% of traffic is from people in transit and not actually stopping in the UK, the most popular routes with connections I guess could be made to also stay located at LHR so not to deter too many people, but it is still going to be a large number that will be deterred.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the problem with expanding LHR will always be environmental, not just noise and pollution (althought htose arer important) but also all the other stuff like how many hundreds of thousnads of people will need to move, who provides those new properties to house them, where do they go, how do you get them to move, how much is too much for those against moving etc etc
what you need is a totally new airport somewhere else, LHR cannot realistically be increased in size, Gatwick will produce the same problems although not to the same degree but land suitability becomes a big factor there as well, Stanstead again similar problems but to a lesser degree, move further afield and onward transit becomes the issue, anywhere within the "commuter belt" will be problematic due to population density issues and land suitability, outsid ethat belt the problem becomes "transit links"
the only realistic bar is train speeds, maglevs hold the answer to achieving travel speed and that would require serious changes to the rail network (getting rid of network operators who will oppose the plans) denationalisation of the public transit operations has created a problem that now cannot be solved in a simple way in a short space of time, brittain is running out of suitable land because everywhere it exists there are houses or endangered species that thwart every attempt at doing anything with decades long legal battles, the expansionists should stop trying and instead look to modernisation of their current operations to provide the extra capacity being pushed for.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
London City Airport. 

Limited capacity and can't take large jets.
nadger
Rising Star

Some of tv coverage showing Avro Lancastrians really makes me feel old.
As a lad I used to cycle out to hangers at Heathrow - no security checks
There were planes like Avro Yorks and Lancastrians and BSAA was an airline
There were posh prefabs along Bath Road that airlines used as passenger terminals.
All very civilised  Smiley