Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Runway for London.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New Runway for London.

that is the political standpoint of many of the politicians, Heathrow is already busier than most other airports and without significant losses of homes and adding yet more sections to rai land motorways it cant actually benefit from yet another runway (totally ignoring the problem of adding more ATC to an area that is sadly ancient and would need to be replaced in tandem making it a doomed project requiring no less than 7 co- projects to make useable once the runway was built ...
i did hear him state at one point in the past that London doesn't need a new runway at all but a few existing spaces could be beefed up without all the "extra projects" and achieve the same outcome (increased throughput for airfreight from a less congested side of the capital)  and he personally would prefer to see a much more in depth environmental impact study done of all the proposed locations, i rather suspect parliament doesn't want London to get expanded at all but would like ot push through a link node upgrade (rail line) from another part of the country to kickstart higher employments and so on whilst providing alternative access routes for when London is oob due to weather phenomenom
if i was him i would dig my heels in and force them to provide other options, theres penty of rundown disused or barely used airports around the country that could be rerolled to provide more than 1 runway with a freight only terminal or even to provide runways dedicated to both freight and passenger travel without increases the strain on TFL in the same way that a new expansion in one of the most built up areas would do .
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
x47c
Grafter

It will be what the economists call 'sunk costs'
So much investment has been put into Heathrow that to create a new airport with all its support services plus people to work in it to find somewhere to live would be horrendously expensive for all.
All those hotels and other dedicated facilities near Heathrow which would become basically redundant.....and so on if HR was to be relocated to a new 4 runway hub.
Building the airport is not the problem - it's the rest.
who is going to pay for it all?
The best place for a new mega airport hub is somewhere on the HS2 route N.West of London  - Bucks/Northants area
That would put the flight path clear from overflying London, easy access from both london and the rest of the UK.
The East coast Estuary concept is too susceptible to fogs.
nanotm
Pro

yeah or a major expansion of Birmingham airport or Exeter or any number of othes that could be expanded to 3 or 4 times the size of heathrow, actually it would need ot be Birmingham /Liverpool/edinburugh/Glasgow/Aberdeen/Manchester given they expect to start planning the spacex port around the current Exeter airport /
Community Veteran

At one point there was a plan to build a major hub airport the size of Heathrow between Coventry and Rugby.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If you take transit passengers out of the equation does London need another runway?
Community Veteran

It needs to keep up with other European airports which are able to open more routes to developing parts of the world. Heathrow is at full capacity now and will not be able to compete in the next 10 years.
Community Veteran

The problem for the airlines and passengers is that they want to travel to London Heathrow. That is the major hub with the connections and the reputation. It's a brand which sells.
Politicians and pressure groups can blow off all they like but they can't make people want to use their creation. But they can spoil what we've got very easily  Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nanotm
Pro

of course they cane make them just removes the current gem and the new hi-tech one will get the same opinions within a few months /
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I was living in London under the Heathrow flight path at the time of the Iceland Volcanic (unpronounceable name) which closed down air traffic for a few days. Life was briefly improved.  They should build another runway at London's first airport - Croydon. It would be much better use of the land.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Why just London? Up here there's Durham Tees Valley airport and there's Newcastle Airport, the latter is an international airport that has routes to places the ones daan saaf go to, so, send the money this way, get some jobs created where they're needed the most... Cool
Community Veteran

In the  UK I used to use Heathrow for international travel and Manchester to get to the other major hubs (Paris CDG, Schipol, Frankfurt) I used to bypass Leeds Bradford, Teesside, Humberside, Robin Hood as, quiet frankly, they are basically holiday airports and the routes I wanted are not well catered for.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Chilly
At one point there was a plan to build a major hub airport the size of Heathrow between Coventry and Rugby.

The Coventry Gateway Project is, or was, intended to build a massive industrial and airport complex on the site of Baginton Airport, but that was refused consent a few months ago. An enormous road modification exercise was started last year on the basis that it would go ahead but it's just a white elephant now. I wonder whyHuhAngry
Community Veteran

We need capacity and the quickest way to get it is to build an extra runway. Heathrow is the logical place as it already has the international routes serviced from there. Even Gatwick can't offer a major routing service.
We will need extra London runway capacity by 2030 and once again the most suitable solution to this problem is Heathrow.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Except that it will permanently breach the legally binding air quality requirements
They need to bite the bullet and build a new one and stop mucking about - just like the French did when they built Charles de Gaulle
Community Veteran

In that case go with Gatwick or Stansted. It would be simple to extend either airport and plenty of available land to build on. Both with good roads/rail into London as well.