cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Runway for London.

Community Veteran

New Runway for London.

The Davies Commission reports tomorrow on the location of a new runway for London. What recommendation will Davies make.
The options are discussed here:
Runway Options
The logical location has to be Heathrow but this will meet with a lot of problems on environmental grounds.
59 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: New Runway for London.

My guess would be 2nd runway at Gatwick.... 
Heathrow has problems managing present  air traffic volumes... especially if Paris has a hold up, and flights are delayed into and out of UK air space for Heathrow...  That same air traffic can also affect the "stacking" that Gatwick has alleviated over the past years. 
With a 2nd runway at Gatwick, they can accomodate more flights ( probably double the current daily numbers ) and therefore Heathrow will be still running at 98% capacity, on "normal days"... should some "disaster" happen at Heathrow,... flights could be diverted to Gatwick as an emergency measure to reduce Air Traffic stacking delays.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
The logical location has to be Heathrow but this will meet with a lot of problems on environmental grounds.

Environmental or political?
The DM a day or two back had a story about how the tory MPs in the area were resisting it being at Heathrow because they didn't want planes flying over them and their homes.
Funny coincidence that.. Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Looks like Heathrow.
Considering the pollution round Heathrow already breaks EU limits I'm surprised. Plus the roads round Heathrow are already gridlocked most of the day.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

That is what the report says but given the NOx pollution levels around Heathrow I suspect that the Government won't go with it as it apparently makes some very unreal projections of pollution effects
Kremmen
Rising Star

Boris is fuming.
They reckon nothing will happen for 10 to 20 years so plenty of time for him to can el it when he takes over  Wink
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

But for the rest of the world Heathrow is London airport. They don't want to go anywhere else. What they should do is improve communication with Gatwick so in effect they become one airport and then rebrand the two.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Different companies own Heathrow and Gatwick. It looks The paid lobbyists for Heathrow are more effective and have a larger budget. The road traffic around Heathrow is already heavily congested and an extra runway would just make matters worse. Any environmental safeguards in the Davies Commission report will soon be watered down in committee, their CEO on the Radio 4 Today programme was particularly evasive on that issue. If they want a transit airport to satisfy the International airlines Gatwick would work fine with an additional runway.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I wonder what was going on here......

a 15 minute flight time.......
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

The aircraft flew into Heathrow from Delhi then positioned to Gatwick.
It later operated as flight BA2233 to Bermuda.
Community Veteran

The government has announced that the decision on the new London runway has been delayed for further studies on environmental impact.
Community Veteran

Well no surprise there.
The whole thing is political, Cameron clearly stated there would be no third runway at Heathrow so he has too stall for as long as possible irrespective of the millions lost in trade.
Few other countries would mess about like this they would just get on with it.
Community Veteran

I understand that Ryan air are backing London Prestwick airport.
Community Veteran

One consideration is next year's Mayoral election in London. The Conservative candidate, Zac Goldsmith, is opposed to Heathrow and has threatened to resign if it is given the go-ahead.
Community Veteran

To much self interest, they should put the country first, not last.
Out of interest why could they not build a new airport somewhere else ? Surely there is no shortage of land in some parts of the south, with a bit of effort road and rail links could be built at the same time.