cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rules

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

New Rules

Happy new year everyone. Scanning through the web I've seen announcements of "New Rules" in the press. For some reason these seem to be tied to New Year's Day.

• EU rules for domestic electric devices, such as modems to switch themselves off when not in use

• rules governing the composition of school meals

Any more to add to the list?
Life is becoming quite Austro/germanic in approach; "you have freedom as long as it is permitted".  I can see a black market in pre-2015 electric devices.developing. As to the projected energy savings I bet they don't account for the heating effect of the devices consequently reducing the load on central heating.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New Rules

If the EU was really on the side of consumers trying to save money they would abolish standing charges.
Otherwise consumers using more in effect pay less.
It's like schemes to reward people who fill up their recycle bins.
Because I buy little junk my all rubbish total rarely fills even half a bin. So no chance of any reward for me which seems backwards.
Fixes: 47

The European Commission said the move would save an average household about £32 a year.

Configuring kids to not leave lights on all over the house has the potential to save a darned sight more Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

kids to not leave lights on

Georgian version:
Suffer the children not to leave candles burning...
Community Veteran

Missed one of the new rules: Cheapest rail tickets to be advertised by train operators as reported here.
I can see that working well. "What do you mean? You can't read 5 point size  print from 4 metres distance?"
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: billnotben
If the EU was really on the side of consumers trying to save money they would abolish standing charges.

The rules are now that there must be a standing charge element + one price for each unit of energy used instead of the previous higher charge for the first x units of energy then a lower charge for remaining units.
The rules do not prevent the standing charge being £0. To the best of my knowledge only Ebico currently offers this. Charges for each unit of energy used are higher but for anyone using little energy this can be a big saving
Community Veteran

EBICo, that is my current energy provider.
I know they changed the rules but they went in the companies direction instead of the consumers.
No surprise there.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Since I use more electric than the "standard" who is that BTW?
Got my yearly notice and it said I use LESS gas (with a 20+ year old boiler) and MORE electric than "normal"
Well since I am at home all day, have a l/t on 24/7 and on the pc all day hardly surprising. Why does it cost less to WORK and not be at home than it does to be unemployed and at home all day?