cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Requirements for entering USA

Community Veteran

New Requirements for entering USA

Anyone planning to visit the USA after 12th January will be required to complete a form online at least 3 days before they go, unless they hold a US Visa.  The form can be accessed at:
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/
Approval must be obtained before boarding a plane to the USA.
I completed my form earlier today.  It is very simple and I received an 'Authorization Approved' email by return.  As I haven't got firm travel dates yet I left this section blank and will fill these details in when I finalise them.
6 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: New Requirements for entering USA

Had to do the same for out in laws, bit of a downer if you don't have net access though..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Yes, they make it clear that you can only apply online.  I heard an interview with their ambassador and his attitude was use an internet cafe or get a friend to fill the form in for you. 

I'm sure the site says don't use a public computer as you are entering personal details  Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I didn't see any mention of this but I take your point.  However, the ambassador certainly mentioned internet cafes or friends if you don't have a computer.  Interestingly my approval came back so quickly I wonder what checks were made.  Wink

Saw on another forum (think it was moneysavingexpert) that someone had put in the wrong passport number and still got approval.
Doesn't seem to do any checks and loved the 'the final decision is down to immigration official', so all in all pretty pointless  Crazy
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So essentially the same thing as an Australian ETA then?
Except it's free, but knowing what governments are like they'll then start charging for it in 3-6 months, to avoid the backlash of it being introduced in the first place.
So you now get an on-line Visa to be able to fill in a Visa Waiver form - there must be some logic there that I've missed Roll eyes
Can't say I'd like to work at a check in desk on the 12th Jan.