Did you mean: 

New Prime Minister - Boris Johnson

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

Re: New Prime Minister - Boris Johnson

@RobC wrote:

@RobPN wrote:

when there's a choice of only them or go without, even after trying another shop, I'll sometimes reluctantly buy them

LOL

You could always but British tinned tomatoes or freeze them  ... if it really meant anything to you ...

Sigh ...

How sad can you get?  Roll eyes

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Champnet wrote:

It’s been worse, your chart doesn’t go back far enough....

Yes, arguably (depending on how much of the economy and its prospects are looked at):

1. During the financial crisis (only just and falling - see below)

2. During the ERM farce where British and US financiers trashed the UK for profit

3. Just before we joined the common Market

4. When the leave vote narrowly won based on lies

All of which are almost certain to be shortly 'beaten in any real world terms.

Pound V euro since crash.jpg

@Champnet wrote:

@RobC wrote:

See where Johnson won and the international markets opinion on the UK's prospects under his 'leadership

Nothing surprising there. The City does not react favourably to uncertainty, one way or the other....

So, as you Brexi-tish geniuses think that was such a good retort,

Care to explain why the pound FALLS after it seems more certain there is going to be a no deal Brexit,

and rises when it returns to uncertainty?

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit
Other than: Bankrupt businesses, Devalued currency, Chlorine bleached chicken, Climate Science Denial, Milk from infected udders and the NHS sold to US pharmaceuticals and insurance companies?

Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
wotsup
Aspiring Champion

@Champnet wrote:

It’s been worse, your chart doesn’t go back far enough....

As usual these graphs are scaled to make the thing look worse,  if the Y axis started at zero the drop or rise would look much less severe.  Owen Jones that Doyen of democracy and pro-brexit pundit ( LOL ) used to spout that a high, overvalued  pound had killed British industry by making our exports too expensive,  now it seem he thinks the falling pound is a problem - how things change.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chavs-Demonization-Working-Owen-Jones/dp/1844678644

And this...  The value of Euro is far too high for countries of southern Europe due to German economy being strong, but what Germany really likes is that because of the 'EU Donkey' states the value of Euro is kept lower than it should be, making German exports cheaper.... if the Euro was based solely on German / Northern EU economy it would be too strong and German exports would suffer massively..

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/3457/currency/problems-of-a-strong-currency/

RobC
Pro

You seem to miss the VERY BASIC point that BOTH an overly high pound and an overly low pound can be bad.

An overly low pound is worse if you are on a small island with limited resources to sell and need to buy/import a lot - as we do

...  and especially when you rely on access to the money markets for most of your economy ...

Economics 101

(Good try though - go to the top of the Brexiter class.)

So apart from BREXI-TISH examples of:

* Reducing the availability and choice, and/or increasing the cost of fresh fruit and veg

* The collapsing pound making our produce cheaper to the rest of the world and our imports more expensive (and trashing a huge chunk of our main money spinner)

- Hence our own produce (eg our Tomatoes), imports (eg their Tomatoes) and items made using imported materials (eg Tomato sauce) costing more to the British people (cost + market forces)

What benefits are there to Brexit?

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit
Other than: Bankrupt businesses, Devalued currency, Chlorine bleached chicken, Climate Science Denial, Milk from infected udders and the NHS sold to US pharmaceuticals and insurance companies?

Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
ffox
Aspiring Pro

The scale of the chart doesn't disguise the fact that the pound has fallen 27% since the Brexit vote.   That means that you Brexiteers have lost all of us more than 1/5th of the value of any pounds we had in savings, and in our earnings since that vote.  Admittedly it doesn't hit the pocket immediately, but it certainly does in the long run. 

That puts a high price on xenophobia,   Should you be ashamed of yourselves?

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

That’s a very narrow and simplistic view and assumes every transaction is related to importing or exporting, which of course It’s not.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Interesting comment from Steve Bannon (of Alt-Right fame) in a BBC interview..  "The British people have not seen, I don't think, even the beginning of the turmoil". And that's from someone who is a Brexit advocate. We deserve all we get. Cry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-49169829/steve-bannon-the-brexit-turmoil-is-only-just-...

The more a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it -- George Orwell.

Beware "alternative facts".

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is set in Landing Strip, which is understood to be Great Britain in the future, a division of Oceania, a superstate that is continually at war with other superstates. Currently being organised by an American administration near you.
ffox
Aspiring Pro

Luzern
Champion
Fixes: 5

A logarithmic graph may suit @wotsup  better, but the truth about our currency cannot be disguised, as much as some may desire. Reasons can easily be conjured for a currency's diminution, but there will always be large in day fluctuations, so trends are the thing to watch. Currencies lose value because more is being sold in great amounts than is bought, either from them bring in oversupply or unwanted, but also can be from speculative shorting.

I hope I've not been asleep: I cannot say I have seen much evidence about traitorous  speculators of the elite in the press. It'd make good copy, but the most likely propagators seem quiet. Conclusion the selling is mostly genuine.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
wotsup
Aspiring Champion

I get the distinct impression that most remainers would have been appeasers in WW2 because ' Britain could not possibly win, so best avoid all that agro and surrender now' , not willing to go through the slightest pain to free their country and get back sovereignty.  Their negativity is frightening.  They are fond of saying ' no one voted to leave without a deal' and ' no one voted to be worse off '... well I for one never expected a deal from the EU, their ideology over rules normal common sense trade, and as far as I recall ' leave European Union only if we get a deal ' was not an option on ballot paper.  We joined a free trade block in1972, held a belated referendum in 1975 but since then the EU has destroyed much of our industry and taken over pretty much every aspect of our government..

Interesting to think what would have happened if UK had accepted result of referendum and presented a United front to EU, instead of all the backstabbing infighting that has so emboldened their negotiations and ensured the bad deal we were given, and now looks like has made a no deal exit a fact...but of course remainers will not accept responsibility for their traitorous antics....

ffox
Aspiring Pro

if you can't produce a worthwhile argument, create a diversion by insulting  people who have a different view.  I was an RAF pilot and find "traitorous" extremely offensive.  What is worse, 3 other members thought your unpleasant post worthy of thanks.  

Luzern
Champion
Fixes: 5

I see very little of worth in @wotsup's comparison. In the thirties a monster wished to enslave nations, dispose of any persons he and his gang thought inferior (das Untermensch) and the appeasers either wanted to go along, or couldn't see the facts. We had to fight; do what it took.

I don't see Germany, for it seems the major bogeyman to Eurosceptics/Brexiters, as an enemy. What they suffered from the end of WW1 to the aftermath of WW2 make them want stability and co-operation. That means limitations on own wishes. 

Whilst we may think some elements in the European scheme   have gone too far, we are the disruptors and with what unknown outcomes, good or bad for us, Europe or the World.

And a deal of our disruptive current mien seems to arise from some, who can't stop fighting WW2.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@ffox wrote:

if you can't produce a worthwhile argument, create a diversion by insulting  people who have a different view.

Hang on a minute. Didn't you just call brexit supporters xenophobes.

Community Veteran

@wotsup 

Good for you mate! Keep up your intense program of serious hate and misunderstanding. We ain't in WW2 and I for one have no desire to go back to those conditions.

And let me put you straight on this.... I personally am NOT, repeat NOT, a traitor, and never accuse me, or anyone else who voted to remain,  of being one.  Your rhetoric makes me sick and should not be allowed on a forum such as this. Mods please note. You are not doing your jobs.

Like so many people have said on here, I personally have never seen any reasoned argument why we should leave, what benefits it would bring, how long it would take etc.. You are just firing on pure emotion without logic. If you want logical information why we should remain, just look closely at what we would have to go through when we fall back on WTO rules and what effects that would have on this country. All the info is on the WTO web site for easy reading. All the tariffs, who they would apply to, what items, what circumstances and what tariff rates. All set out in plain English. If you read that and understand it you would never want to leave. Unless of course there is some underlying emotional reason for you wanting to leave, which is no reason to drag everyone else through what inevitably will happen.  It would take years to enter into any other trading arrangements so hold your breath. If Bojo gets his way everyone will suffer big time and for what? Nothing, absolutely nothing.

I've not posted on here much lately because I have become heartily sick and tired of misinformed emotonally-driven drivel being spouted. If you think that leaving will fix anything you will get a very rude awakening my "friend".

The more a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it -- George Orwell.

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is set in Landing Strip, which is understood to be Great Britain in the future, a division of Oceania, a superstate that is continually at war with other superstates. Currently being organised by an American administration near you.
Community Veteran

@ffox wrote:

if you can't produce a worthwhile argument, create a diversion by insulting  people who have a different view.  I was an RAF pilot and find "traitorous" extremely offensive.  What is worse, 3 other members thought your unpleasant post worthy of thanks.  

I reckon that using the word "traitorous" in the way that he did is sufficient reason for banning the poster and those who agree with him.