Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Prime Minister - Boris Johnson

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New Prime Minister - Boris Johnson

I agree with @artmo , it was an impressive first speech, now all he has to do is deliver his wish list....

Community Veteran

After 'night of the long knives' we can expect to hear some of BJ's promotions tonight. 17 people have either been sacked or resigned.

Looks like we will hear Javid will become chancellor, Rhabb will take over as foreign secretary and Pritti Patel as home secretary.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Well that's a good start, get rid of all those in cabinet who are remainers and get in people who will back you and think along similar lines.

Far too much doom & gloom these days, so much negativity from so many.

Get the job done so we can get on with all the other important things that need doing.

Community Veteran

It's going to be interesting to see how the new cabinet is going to get on with things.

There is a cabinet meeting this morning and then Johnson will be going to Parliament for the first time as PM. How will he get on facing Corbyn for the first time as PM? It won't only be the outside temperature than could get hot.

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Seems like Boris can bypass article 50 completely, shove Theresa Mays so called withdrawal agreement through the House of Commons shredder,  and just write a letter to EU Commission telling them we are leaving....

The so called 'divorce bill' will then go to international arbitration and UK can claim for EU assets that UK helped pay for but remain in the EU.... should be interesting, we may even get a rebate.  

The EU will not lightly give up the £95 Billion annual surplus of trade with UK in high value goods.  Mother Theresa was far too timid in her dealings with EU and the 2017 general election disaster is basically her fault for doing it her way, writing the manifesto herself, alienating core Tory supporters and not listening to advisors and colleagues with a lot more experience - glad it is not just my wife that won't listen to sense.....

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/07/theres-another-option-beyond-no-deal-or-mays-deal-and-boris-know...

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Love the tweet today..

'Jeremy Hunt preferred no deal to a bad deal' - it was about being offered Defence minister role after being sacked from foreign secretary Job... he said it was effectively a demotion and left - couldn't be that Boris had cleared out all Hunts remainer mates from Cabinet.

Dominic Raab takes over from Hunt as secretary for foreign and commonwealth affairs, in addition Rabb is first secretary of state ( takes over from the treacherous David Lidington) , which makes him de-facto deputy PM.

TTman
Pro

@wotsup Sounds like a plan to me!!!! Wont happen tho. Immagine how may heart attacks there would be in parliament could cut down the number of MP's at a stroke ( is stroke the right word to use?) Immediate no confidence voteShockedCrazy

ffox
Aspiring Pro

@wotsup

That's a very interesting article, many thanks.  I'm not sure that your conclusions are correct, though.  Is it as simple as you say?   For example: "GATT does provide a viable exit route from the EU, providing the EU agrees to using it".  (My bold)

The article also says  So the only viable route to leaving the EU with a deal is to leave May’s WA unratified in its box and bypass Article 50 altogether. This can be achieved via a free trade agreement (FTA) similar to Canada’s but with enhanced mutual recognition of services, as well as security and criminal justice cooperation.

The suggestion in the second sentence would mollify the remainers to some extent.   

Community Veteran

And another trick up his sleeve.......As he is going around the EU leaders for a better deal he could also add that if a new deal cannot be agreed and parliament force him back to the EU to ask for a further extension the EU should not agree to it.

Several EU countries were reluctant to extend the time period but all agreed to it, if he asks them not to agree he leaves with no deal and avoids those who threaten legal action if he suspends parliament as there would be no need.

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@gleneagles wrote:

... if he asks them not to agree he leaves with no deal ...

But have any of the individual country leaders got the backbone to stand in front of the juggernaut?  Roll eyes

RobC
Pro

I see the fantasy brigade is out in force today in ... the land of make believe

The 39B bill already takes into account other items and included the UK giving up future rebates we get to bring it down from 60B - 'cause it looked better to the Brexiter clueless - but effectively is the same same amount

The EU will (provided the settlement is paid) come to a quick FTA on certain goods - where it is also in their benefit.

etc etc

.. all already explained, much as you don't want to hear it

Whats the other song ..

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit
Other than: Bankrupt businesses, Devalued currency, Chlorine bleached chicken, Climate Science Denial, Milk from infected udders and the NHS sold to US pharmaceuticals and insurance companies?

Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
RobPN
Seasoned Champion

@RobC 

It appears your signature needs yet another update.  No point saying "don't vote for Johnson" (unless a general election has been announced which I haven't heard of).  Roll eyes

PS  I think you're fantasising if you think we're going to remain in the EU. Grin

RobC
Pro

well there's VERY few in the country voted for him so far ....

Certainly not enough for him to make any significant decisions on behalf of the 99% plus of the voters who haven't voted for him

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit
Other than: Bankrupt businesses, Devalued currency, Chlorine bleached chicken, Climate Science Denial, Milk from infected udders and the NHS sold to US pharmaceuticals and insurance companies?

Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
RobPN
Seasoned Champion

Be that as it may, sorry to disappoint, but that's the way it is.

So it's a bit late for you to try and persuade people not to vote for him, n'est-ce pas?

Community Veteran

I think France was one country that wanted to give us a shorter period of time and the current date was a compromise as others wanted to give us longer.

I suspect if several of the main countries decided not to extend the date any further the rest would fall in line, by main countries I am thinking of France & Germany.