cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Prime Minister - Boris Johnson

salmo
Rising Star

Re: New Prime Minister - Boris Johnson

A lot of strawberries are grown in Yorkshire The fields across the road from my house are full of them. Wonder what will happen when we leave as the pickers are virtually all Romanian. Will the farmer be able to get enough local people to do the job?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@salmo 

Interesting question.

I have passed a few farms where there has been a notice to come and pick your own, you weigh them and pay for them.

Of course that is not going to cover the number required in the supermarkets how hard would it be to offer extra money to some people on benefits who wish to work so their total hourly pay would equal the minimum working wage ?

There are far worse and more unpleasant jobs than picking strawberries, try topping and tailing turnips on a frosty morning, you can't even feel your hands, I know I've done it.

We need to think outside the box instead of putting obstacles up, we need more of the can do rather than can't do.

There will be some major problems if we leave without a deal but equally thousands of jobs will be lost in the EU as a result and they have a higher level of unemployment than us, in short problems on both sides which may force a deal which both sides might not like but can live with, such a deal may only be reached once we leave.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

@Luzern wrote:

any persons he and his gang thought inferior (das Untermensch)

"Der Untermensch" - I had to check the German language version of the Wikipedia entry on the subject to make sure they hadn't adopted the neuter gender as yet another way of dehumanising them.

Luzern
Champion
Fixes: 5

@Jonpe Thanks for the correction. It's neatly 65 years from my A Levels and maybe 40 since I visited Germany in a choir exchange, where I stayed with German families.

I always enjoyed my visits.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Pick your own strawberries.

Around here, go back several years, if you picked your own it used to be a small fraction of the supermarket price. Plus you got to stuff your face for free as a bonus.

Now it's more expensive than to just get them ready picked and packed in the shops. It's like you're paying extra for the picking privileged. Same for a few other do it yourself things.

Like the old mackerel fishing trip. As a kid all you had to do was catch more than one and you were in "profit" on the trip. And everyone used to catch several. Nowadays you would have to catch half a bucket full to break even.

What has that got to do with Brexit - absolutely nowt.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@RobPN 

Tomatoes will last in an unheated greenhouse well into October, and a little bit of heat will keep them going into November (I've not had to heat the greenhouse until quite late for a few years even if there's a bit of frost early in the morning, because the days are warm-ish. In fact, heating it seems a waste of time these days because the crop is mainly done for. We freeze any left over and use them in cooking. 

Then it's time to sow some more.

The more a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it -- George Orwell.

Beware "alternative facts".

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is set in Landing Strip, which is understood to be Great Britain in the future, a division of Oceania, a superstate that is continually at war with other superstates. Currently being organised by an American administration near you.
Luzern
Champion
Fixes: 5

@Luzern wrote:

@Jonpe Thanks for the correction. It's neatly 65 years from my A Levels and maybe 40 since I visited Germany in a choir exchange, where I stayed with German families.

I always enjoyed my visits.

Embarrassed 25 not 40 years.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@nozzer 

So, as I suggested, you have a gap of a few months without fresh tomatoes, so nobody can call you a traitor for going Dutch!  Wink

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well the Brecon by-election is upon us

and the Brexit party hoping to get their first MP with the Tories putting up the expenses crook that was recalled to ensure the Brexit parties best chance ...

In the 2016 EU referendum, 52% of voters in Brecon and Radnorshire backed Leave

Interesting.

Wonder how much Johnson downgrading his rhetoric on the Oct leave date from 'do or die, whatever the circumstances'   to 'achievable' will boost the Brexit parties chances?

My what a surprise - it seems he's lying - Who would have thought it

and hasn't Johnson just announced more money for Brexit 'planning - with just a few weeks until leave date - at which stage it would become reactive chaos management NOT planning

.. which equates to an extra cost to the UK taxpayers (unless you are rich enough to use  a tax haven that is) of £4.5M every single week for the next 10 years - plus interest of course.

They might make it a an interest only loan until 2050 when the Brexit benefits are now alleged to be 'expected' to begin which should reduce the weekly costs a bit. Lets hope our international credit rating holds out or that will get expensive.. for the British taxpayer

... on top of the £Billions already spent sending David Dumbass to negotiate with the EU 4 times and put a couple of central barriers in the ex motorway - new lorry parking site?

.. oops and renting some storage coolers for stockpiling essential medicines of course

... oh and the difficult expensive task of sourcing a ferry company with no ferries - and paying eurotunnel compensation for it

.. oh and lets not forget the £100M+ on Brexit expert consultants

So what has actually been achieved or delivered for all this taxpayer money? - apart from profits to somebody?

All of which would have been far better spent on the UK while the UK continued to reap the benefits of the deals we benefit from as a significant EU member (deals we shaped)

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit
Other than: Bankrupt businesses, Devalued currency, Chlorine bleached chicken, Climate Science Denial, Milk from infected udders and the NHS sold to US pharmaceuticals and insurance companies?

Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
RobPN
Seasoned Champion

@RobC wrote:

... more repeats.  Yawn ...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@RobPN 

Last year I grew some of these... (called Black Opal)..

tomblackopal.jpg

.. which are a cold-climate (outdoor) tomato from Russia/Ukraine. They are throat-cuttingly sweet/salty and they lasted well into December in the greenhouse.

The more a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it -- George Orwell.

Beware "alternative facts".

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is set in Landing Strip, which is understood to be Great Britain in the future, a division of Oceania, a superstate that is continually at war with other superstates. Currently being organised by an American administration near you.
RobPN
Seasoned Champion

@nozzer 

They look and sound very tasty from your description.  I'd take a bet that they'd be yummy cut in half and used to top a pizza with!

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

@RobC wrote:

and hasn't Johnson just announced more money for Brexit 'planning - with just a few weeks until leave date - at which stage it would become reactive chaos management NOT planning

Boris does seem to have a bottomless bucket of money, but I wonder how much has been committed and how much is just a bluff.

Anyone know if he's a good poker player ?

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

@salmo wrote:

A lot of strawberries are grown in Yorkshire The fields across the road from my house are full of them. Wonder what will happen when we leave as the pickers are virtually all Romanian. Will the farmer be able to get enough local people to do the job?

Well all I can say is that migrant labour has been coming to UK since Adam and Eve were small children.  They did not come here under the EU freedom of movement,  they came on temporary visas and went home when the season was over, no right to stay in UK.  The lower £ makes it less attractive to come to UK anyway...

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

Strawberries - A shocking discovery just after getting married.

As a youngster I would go strawberry picking with my Mother, we'd then spend hours removing the stalks. Bonding & hulling.

Then I found my new Wife cutting the tops off.    Unspeakable horror....