cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plastic Money

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

New Plastic Money

Apparently.... the aussies have had this stuff for about 25 years.... have only caught snippets of news about it,  and wonder what others think of it...
Personally, I think it will be "ok"... just feel a lot different.... I hope it isn`t any thicker than current currency notes, cos I only have a thin wallet... ( well, don`t all Yokshumen?  Roll eyes )
Haven`t heard of any issue date yet thoughHuh
34 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: New Plastic Money

They are talking about 2016
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24029785
Personally I have no objections. Don't really carry much cash as mainly use another form of plastic.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks for the linky, nadger....  Wink
shalom2010
Grafter

I only carry maybe £20 cash, but have a small coin holder type wallet & fold the notes to a quarter size to fit them. Not sure how plastic will cope with the folding.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Considering we're all supposed to be cashless within the next few years isn't this a waste of time?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 124

From nadger's link:
Earlier this year, the Bank of Canada was forced to deny that the notes had any scent added, after authorities were inundated with queries from consumers about why they detected a "hint of maple" when smelling them.

Now if we adopted that idea in England it could give a new meaning to 'coming up smelling of roses' Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Steven
............................ fold the notes to a quarter size to fit them. Not sure how plastic will cope with the folding.

I do the same (folded in 3 or 4 depending on size) and it's fine. Just been abroad using plastic notes; you don't really notice.

There's always something good about getting a nice new crisp note from the ATM or inside the bank.
Will we still get the same feeling with plastic money?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I prefer the plastic notes as they can be 'laundered'  Cheesy
JamesM
Grafter

Shutter, the Australian plastic notes are actually thinner than the English notes. I used the Aussie notes for 17 years and when I came back to England it was funny holding paper money again.
Mav, you still get the same feeling getting new crisp plastic notes out of the ATM too.

Quote from: JamesM
Mav, you still get the same feeling getting new crisp plastic notes out of the ATM too.

That's nice to know Cool

JamesM
Grafter

It will be interesting to see the size of the new plastic notes though because the Aussie notes are probably less then two thirds the size of the English notes, some realtives in Oz sent my nephew a Wallet over from Australia and he can't use it because the English notes stick out of the top by about an inch.
I never used wallets in Australia, I always stuck my money in the back of my Cig packet, which was a downer when the packet was empty and after a few beers the empty packet went in the bin along with a $20 note  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I think this is a good idea.  The plastic notes cost more to produce but last up to 2-3 times as long so there is a saving.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Which is a good point artmo.. how do they pay for the money to be made?  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The printing of the notes is done on behalf of the Bank of England so effectively it is the taxpayer who pays.