cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Photo Driving licence renewal

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

New Photo Driving licence renewal

Just got my photo licence renewed, and a slip of paper in with it says to check your vehicle is insured.... even if you`re not actually driving it...(except for SORN)....
you can check your vehicle IS insured by going to this site.....
http://www.askMID.com
It is the insurance database used by the police and DVLA to check your insured, when they stop you...
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: New Photo Driving licence renewal

That brings back a memory! I used to work at the DVLC (now DVLA) back in 1970 in the Computing Dept. We suggested linking the vehicle licence (and driving licence) to the insurance back in those early years. We were told firmly by the DOT HQ based in Marsham Street that was a crazy idea and would never happen.
I also remember (and saw the files) that the original proposal by the Civil Servants was that the vehicle licensing computer system should be held on magnetic disks. The Treasury objected and sided with a magnetic tape based system proposed by a computer consultancy. Chaos and delays ensued with a system that could only process applications serially against a master file built from 135 master record tapes that took 18 hours a day to process.... The consultancy is still in business.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

An interesting site Shutter thank you.  I see the government even makes a profit from the information if it isn't your own vehicle you're enquiring about.  That's a good idea.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not really artmo, you can type in ANY registration, tick the box and still see if its insured. It relies on people being honest and scared of the legal disclaimer.
Their IT skills are so useless that they don't seem able to do anything about this (such as collecting the address of you as the registered keeper before giving you the insurance status). Admittedly they did take drastic action and go offline last year after I'd been running automated queries from my site (trial and error - I was trying to get a bit of code working that would check my insurance every day and SMS me if there was a problem - they went offline the next morning). 2 entire weeks later they came back online with the worst captcha ever.
Good site for doing checks on your or anyone elses insurance but useless from an IT POV.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Isawitall
Grafter

Askmid is a waste of time, Why place so much blind faith in a system that isnt accurate ?.
I read many times about the law seizing vehicles because they are not on the mid even though they are insured.
heres a perfect example of how the law is abused,
  http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2011/749.html
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well there's interesting for you!!
Checked successfully that my current car is on the database. So out of curiosity, checked my previous car that was scrapped as uneconomic to repair (needing a new auto gearbox, that would cost more than the value of the car) imagine my surprise to find that it is insured. Having carefully ensured that it was removed from my policy when it was handed over to the scrapyard and all the correct paperwork completed .
Edit: and, having been paid £60 per ton as scrap value...and saddened as the car was otherwise in excellent condition, but had cost the proverbial arm and leg to keep it that way.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Petlew are you suggesting your old car is still on the road or it is simply an error in the paperwork?
Fixes: 125

Just because you scrap a car doesn't mean it is scrapped...
Petlew's tale reminded me when my Nissan Bluebird was wriiten off after a collision with a French lorry in Erith. The entire near-side was ripped the length of the car is if by a giant can opener and was deemed uneconomical to repair.
The insurance paid in full as a non-fault claim and the car was to be scrapped. As soon as the claim was settled the car became the insurer's property and they arranged for it to be collected. I filled the relevant paperwork, etc and sent off to DVLA.
Several months later I received quite a few parking fines for the same reg, same vehicle but in the East End of London.
I had to jump through several hoops with my insurer and the DVLA before I got the fines dropped.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Similar story here, sold a car a few years ago and the new owner said he would send the paperwork off but he never did.
Several parking fines arrived and I had to go to court and swear on oath that the car was no longer mine.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Sprite
Not really artmo, you can type in ANY registration, tick the box and still see if its insured. It relies on people being honest and scared of the legal disclaimer.

Yep, not really a site for checking your own insurance though is it?
More like a site for someone else's insurance, pretending to be them and then reporting that person when you find they don't have any.
Community Veteran

It seems to me rather a failing that the system appears to rely only on the registration number to identify a vehicle as insured or not.  Despite attempts to make it difficult to obtain number plates without documentation, I can't believe there arent places that criminals can get convincing plates made up very easily (Plates can also easily be stolen, and often are).  If an insurance dodger simply fits false plates to a vehicle (particularly if they note the reg number of a similar vehicle and copy it) then the database and ANPR systems will show them as insured as long as the genuine vehicle is insured (a much safer bet than driving around with the correct plates when they know they are not insured), one thing they will, of course, be lacking is the matching VED (tax disk).  SURELY for this to be properly effective you should be able to enter a VIN to check for insurance - I can't see casual insurance dodgers bothering to convincingly forge another vehicle's VIN as well as reg number (except those who 'ring' more expensive vehicles but they're not really looking to just get away with no insurance).
I'm not saying it's not a good idea but I think more thought should have been put into it.
I wholly agree with Sprite's point that you seem to be able to just enter any reg number for free and tick the box limited only by your own conscience, hardly an advert for the technical competence of the site.
Not sure about it being the worst captcha ever though, at least I could read that one unlike some that cause me 10 or more attempts just to join some little club or something equally unimportant.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Edit: and, having been paid £60 per ton as scrap value...and saddened as the car was otherwise in excellent condition, but had cost the proverbial arm and leg to keep it that way.

You should of just kept it mate. We got a car, spent 14 months on the drive completely dead. Well I say dead, everything internally worked except the engine and gearbox. All the dials, lights, indicators etc were fine but the engine was completely screwed after being taken out, overhauled, reinstalled etc. It came out 6 or 7 times in total and still wouldn't start. In total it cost me mega money and ended up being the longest simple job ever but eventually after 14 months we fixed it and it now fires up beautifully. Sometimes no matter how costly or terminal a fault on a car is give it time and you can sort it out somehow.
Quote from: walker23
Not sure about it being the worst captcha ever though, at least I could read that one unlike some that cause me 10 or more attempts

Now its fine but when it was first put there to block my automated calls it was awful. It literally used every character available (including some of those not on your keyboard) in some ridiculous colours (like light cream on a white background) and you could enter the correct text time and time again and still be rejected. It took them another 3 or so weeks to get this fixed and put right. For a professional organisation like the MIB you wouldn't expect them to scrimp on a decent webdesign / back end coding team but they did. All I wanted was a SMS text if my car insurance had been taken off the MIB for whatever reason.. I almost had it working too.. just two more steps to complete it.. and that was the day they took it offline  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Just a thought, does anyone know if this site works for all those foregn vehicles imported into the UK by migrant workers and the like?  Is the site linked to any central EEC / EU database?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artmo
Petlew are you suggesting your old car is still on the road or it is simply an error in the paperwork?

I don't know what to think about it actually artmo. Last I saw of it it looked as if it was headed towards a car crusher. But I suppose if the paperwork was correctly done and, I received my notification from the DVLA correctly (I did) the new keeper (the scrapyard in this case) can do what he likes with it. It is even possible he may have had a usable auto box in his salvaged parts inventory all ready available for it and sold the car on.
Don't know if there's anything illegal about that but, I wouldn't think so.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: walker23
Just a thought, does anyone know if this site works for all those foregn vehicles imported into the UK by migrant workers and the like?  Is the site linked to any central EEC / EU database?

No it doesn't. The UK has been incredibly slow about foreign vehicles actually. For instance if a foreign vehicle gets a parking ticket they can just go back home through the ports and not get stopped. In other words, we as UK citizens are victims of active discrimination. So, there you go, if you want to take the mick, buy a cheap car from abroad and then get free parking where ever you like  Cool (Just be sure you have insurance for it though as if you get caught without you're still done for).
@Petlew: No nothing illegal about that. Scrapyards resell many vehicles that they take even those that are written off. My local scrapster has a car that they took as flood damaged.. he said they just dried it all out, MOT'd it, got the cambelt done and kept it for their own use. He said it had been the most reliable car they've had and keep it even now they have a new merc because its so reliable and starts first time. If a car has been declared scrapped to the DVLA thats not the end of the road ether. It can still be reinstated to a road worthy vehicle but it has to be re-registered and its identity checked etc. I know that they reserved the Q plate for this purpose of re-registering scrap cars but I'm unsure if thats for cars who's identity can't be confirmed or if its for all scrap yard salvaged cars. Either way the Q plate is there for certain cars that survive the scrap yard.