cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone Scam - Amazon Prime Auto Renewal?

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

New Phone Scam - Amazon Prime Auto Renewal?

Just a warning.There seems to be a new phone scam in town.(Too many people must be catching on to the standard Microsoft/Your Broadband provider/BT... one).

I  just received an unsolicited automated call purporting to be from Amazon. The call was an electronic voice and the caller ID was apparently a mobile number - but one that is fake (number is incorrect if you dial it).

The voice said my Amazon prime was going to auto-renew for £39.99, and I should press 1 if I wanted to speak to an agent to cancel the renewal.

A) I don't subscribe to Amazon Prime - so It can't auto renew. And I just checked  my Amazon account to make sure I am not a member (accidents do happen!)

B) Why would Amazon call me to warn me. I assume their business model relies on inertia at the end of the 30 days.

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: New Phone Scam - Amazon Prime Auto Renewal?

It's been around for a few weeks, along with the international transfer of money via VISA/Mastercard. The BT scam s still ongoing - see 'WhocallsmeUK'.

I seem to get very few of these robo-calls, but I have for many, many months employed the practice of not answering unknown numbers - I think they eventually cotton on to the fact they don't get an answer and take your number off.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a call blocker on mine and the logs show me that over the time it's been installed that I now get about one dodgy call a month, if that, rather than the 5 or 6 a day I used to get.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Sounds like somebody has gained access to Amazon's customer data base. 

Comes to something when you cannot trust anything from any source anymore - bit then could we ever. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman  Don't think so - many of those reporting this type of call aren't Prime members.

John
Minesapint
Pro

It's the old story isn't it?

They can go through the phone book, and they're going to catch somebody eventually.

As I've said before, any caller wanting money or details and I tell them I'll call them back.

Obviously not at a number they've just given me

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@jab1 

Ah right, I just assumed it was - but how do you know otherwise? 

Just asking. Smiley

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero

You don't - except these calls are 'robo-calls' - and - unless they have changed policy, Amazon auto-renew unless you cancel before the due date, either via your account, or by phoning them.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,178

I'd be happy if Amazon only wanted to charge me £39.99 Cheesy
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minesapint
Pro

@dvorak 

It's OK, you can send it to me and I'll make sure they get it! Evil

dvorak
Fixes: 1,178

I don't need to do anything, I'd just hang up and wouldn't need to press 1 Tongue
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jgb
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 15

Just to say this is still going on. Just had a call, allegedly from 01811963018 (probably a spoofed CLI), with the same automated voice message as the OP go six weeks ago. Needless to say I just put the phone down. I am not subscribed to Amazon Prime.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@jab1 wrote:

@Minivanman  Don't think so - many of those reporting this type of call aren't Prime members.

Yeah,  we must have had this call about 10 times now,  and we are not amazon prime customers, they are just playing the odds that you are.  They only need to catch 5% of people with the scam to make a nice pile, you can't fool all the people all of the time,  but you just have to fool enough to make it payday...

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Strangely enough, I haven't had this one, or the other two doing the rounds at the moment (£600.00 taken from your Visa card abroard/you will be disconnected from the internet in 48 hours), but there again, I never answer unknown numbers - just let them go to voicemail.

John