Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Petition

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New Petition

Hi All
There is 2 new petitions, the first petition is simple, it is asking the PM to resign.  We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to resign.  Signatures Was: 2,170 Now: 4,611
The second petition is: We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to call a general election immediately.  Signatures Was: 1,636 Now: 1,649
I have signed them. 
35 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New Petition

never mind resign, throw the useless moron out on his ear, along with the rest of government.
time to get rid of central government, methinks.  of what use are they to you and me?  total drain on our pockets and nothing useful in return.
local autonomy rules, ok!
Fixes: 104

Community Veteran

Even if we had an election - the only other option is that bunch of Tory toffs - who would be just as bad in their own way.
How quickly people forget how dire the last few tory governments were !
Maybe what we need is no clear majority and then a coalition.
We aren't doing too bad with a Scottish government with a majority of one - where no extremes can happen either way. 
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

We need a complete overhaul of the electoral system, whereby at present about 2/3 of the electorate get the government they didn't want.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Why should Brown take any notice of a petition - he ignores most other things.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well it is Now: 6,558
Quote from: 4Candles
We need a complete overhaul [Snip]

Yes we do!
Quote from: mal0z
Even if we had an election - the only other option is that bunch of Tory toffs - who would be just as bad in their own way.

No there is Liberal Democrats
How quickly people forget how dire the last few tory governments were !

No I haven't forgotten how bad the last tory governments were !
Maybe what we need is no clear majority and then a coalition.
Yes pleas
We aren't doing too bad with a Scottish government with a majority of one - where no extremes can happen either way. 
Why can't we have the same system as Scotland?
Community Veteran

Well yes Gary - the Lib Dems may come to the fore - and they are promoting proportional representation as we have it up here in Scotland. And their treasury spokeman Vince Cable spoke rather more sense than that wet Tory spokesman Osborne.
So yes a parliament where had with  three main parties in a coalition might help. After all the coalition government during WWII was quite effective in that period of crisis - yet Attlee gets very little recognition even though he did a great deal of the day to day work whilst Churchill masterminded the war, in his own style.
Community Veteran

I have a lot of respect for Vince Cable. He talks a lot of sense.  Unfortunately there are no other members of his party capable of doing likewise. 
Community Veteran

So which politicians do you think talk sense ?
Community Veteran

The only one on the Labour side is Frank Field.  Can always be relied on to tell it as it is.
On the Tory side Kenneth Clark and William Haig impress me most of all. On balance I think the Tories would make a good government and have learned their lessons from last time. 
Community Veteran

Kenneth Clark, until very recently a director of a tobacco company - that having lost much of it's market share in Europe, then targeted young people in Africa etc etc  ?  Angry
he was also a major force in a failed government in the 90's
Community Veteran

As a non smoker I had no problems with his directorship.  So who are the individuals in parliament you see as OK?
Community Veteran

There are many MP's - who never hit the headlines, good constituency MP's from all parties. there are good MP's who make good speeches and hold the other MP's, ministers to account.
But there are bad MP's like anything else. And MP's who abuse their position, claim large expenses, sometimes for family members who they say are their staff.
I'm not going to name names here .

I have no party loyalties, I don't subscribe to the left, centre, right wing ideas - I vote for the person who in my view will represents the interests of our constituency
Community Veteran

I've just read an interesting article in the Scotsman newspaper that reminds us that in the 1930's at the time of the great depression,
The USA politically moved to the left of centre in electing Franklin D Roosevelt .
The British moved to the right.
but who came out the recession quicker - it was the US led by a democratic President .
Here we are in 2009 with the US moving to the left with President Obama after probably one of the most unpopular Presidents in recent times , yet here in UK we have a leftish government - yet people are suggesting we need a right wing Tory government Huh
Interesting times.........