cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New North Sea Oil Field Discovered

Steve
Pro

New North Sea Oil Field Discovered

Of course Alex Salmond already new this pre referendum but this news was silenced......until now,  Sir Ian Wood said we were running dry? Makes my blood boil how much Scotland has been well and truly [ enter text here ]
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/bp-gdf-suez-hail-discovery-of-new-north-sea-oil-field.1...

Before Referendum Sir Ian Wood below

The North Sea's most eminent industry leader comes out against independence and warns rapidly depleting reserves means a separate Scotland could end up importing gas from England.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11046740/Sir-Ian-Wood-15-years-of-oil-l...

Before Referendum Alistair Darling below
AN INDEPENDENT Scotland’s “over reliance” on falling oil and gas revenues means the poorest will suffer most after independence, Better Together chief Alistair Darling has said.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-darling-oil-reliance-warning...
13 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: New North Sea oil field Discovered

Quote from: M
<snip>
[ enter text here ]
<snip>

[Keeping their heads above water] Cheesy Grin
Steve
Pro

Re: New North Sea Oil Field Discovered

Scottish independence campaigners are not happy. Reaction in link below.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/23/scottish-independence-oil-field_n_6034738.html?utm_hp_ref...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Reality check
Brent crude at less than 80 dollars per barrel
http://www.investmentweek.co.uk/investment-week/news-analysis/2376129/how-low-can-oil-go-strategists...
Roll eyes Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Present production from North Sea about 1.3 million barrels per day - oil and gas equivalent
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26326117
This announcement 5,350 barrels per day peak
How much is that 0.41% - big deal
Steve
Pro

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Reality check
Brent crude at less than 80 dollars per barrel
http://www.investmentweek.co.uk/investment-week/news-analysis/2376129/how-low-can-oil-go-strategists...
Roll eyes Roll eyes

I fixed your link for you.
Community Veteran

There's a spreadsheet published regularly with the breakdowns of all the oil wells in the UK.
It's an insignificant amount on its own, but still worth some £450,000 a day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: M
Of course Alex Salmond already new this pre referendum but this news was silenced......until now,  Sir Ian Wood said we were running dry? Makes my blood boil how much Scotland has been well and truly [ enter text here ]

Well you can hold Mr Salmond just as responsible in that case. The bloke has a big enough mouth afterall.
Sorry Steve but I really do feel that the Scots are better off staying with us - it's caused far too much hassle in centuries gone by and although oil is valuable, I don't think you could realistically keep your entire country on one oil field.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Quote from: 7up
Sorry Steve but I really do feel that the Scots are better off staying with us - it's caused far too much hassle in centuries gone by and although oil is valuable, I don't think you could realistically keep your entire country on one oil field.
I never said we could and it would be really stupid if I thought that, my point is this was known but was hushed. Of course my statement will be denied but watch this space, if you think the oil is running dry your in for a surprise, there is still a huge rumoured oil field ' yet to be discovered '

On July 22nd Mr Cameron turned up in Shetland unannounced.  At the airport the Prime Minister was accompanied by the Secretary of State for Scotland Alistair Carmichael.
The secret visit, the first by a serving UK Prime Minister for 34 years, angered national media who were unable to despatch journalists to Shetland in time.  Commenting on the visit, Scottish Secretary Carmichael told a local newspaper that the visit was, "the closest to a secret I’ve known in Shetland".
However, suspicions were aroused when, within days of the visit, BP announced that the start-up of the Clair Ridge twin-bridge oilfield had been delayed by one year.  However the delay was said to be due to the amount of work being carried out by the South Korean fabricator.

This weekend rumours spread that workers on a rig in the Clair field had been sent home on full pay and told not to return until late September, coincidentally after the independence referendum.
An unnamed worker believed to be from the rig in question is said to have revealed that the amount of recoverable oil exceeds initial estimates and that the Clair could in fact be one of the biggest in the world.  There are also claims that the quality of the oil discovered is much better than usual for the north sea.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Further to my post below Saudi Arabian oil is economic at 85 dollars per barrel and they can only afford to continue pumping at current prices because of their vast currency reserves. They are taking the oil price down to close down excess capacity including North Sea oil which is not economic at  today's prices and will probably be left in the ground.  Sad
Factor in US fracked oil  Embarrassed
Russia are also in deep do-do with ageing oilfields and no capital to exploit new more expensive reserves  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

this is the exact same sort of rubbish the nationalists started spouting weeks after loose the last referendum, the oil field wasn't secretly discovered it was found 15 years ago but at the time there was no way of getting at it because the technology wasn't available, the rumours about there possibly being a larger field somewhere in the north sea have been proliferated for decades, yet no surveys so far have found this mythical well of abundance.
far more likely the reason why salmond didn't spout off about the "new" oil filed is that he had already added it at above best estimate yield to his pie in the sky finances for the future publications.
in a couple more weeks there will be crying about how much shale its possible to [Censored] out of the region (again already estimated and added to the future oil&gas revenues)  

the only way to stop such nonsense from being published is to stop reacting to it like drama queens

waits for my pet troll to come and spout some more random rubbish
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
no way of getting at it because the technology wasn't available

Like all that oil at the centre of the earth.
We just haven't got the technology yet to get past the dinosaurs.
TORPC
Grafter

If the worlds oils was completely drained (highly unlikely it would happen)
Therefore theoretically speaking
Would the Earth seize up on its axis ?Huh
& if so
What would / could happen to the universe as a result ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Bah! Less than 4% of the UK population voted to split Scotland away, now there's continued whinges about an inconsequential oil field.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.