cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mechanic.

Community Veteran

New Mechanic.

My 1998 Seat Ibiza 1.4 (I know it is a little old but the best car I have ever had and I love it.) was long overdue a new timing belt. Knowing the damage and expence a snapped belt can cause I decided to phone my usual mechanic. He quoted my arount £170 supply and fit for belt only. Although he is usually very good to me I thought this was a bit much so I decided to look elsewhere. I found another mechanic who gave me a curtosy car and charged me £117.50 for supply and fit of the full kit (belt, pullys, tensioner). The service was fantistic and it all appeared a little too good to be true. Based on this when I collected the car this evening I drove down the road and out of sight. I then popped the bonnet and unclipped the timing case. Sure enough he HAD replaced the whole lot. I am very happy with his service and will never again go back to my old mechanic!
11 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: New Mechanic.

That does sound really cheap as, if he's registered for VAT, he's only charged you £100 + VAT.
I recently had cam belt change - I bought parts from local KIA dealer and paid £150 for labour and MOT test.
Parts were £65 for belt+tensioner. At 6 years or 60,000 miles I doubt it'll get done again.
I've used this chap for at least 12 years so  didn't need to check he'd done the work.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
That does sound really cheap as, if he's registered for VAT, he's only charged you £100 + VAT.

Yes, £100+ VAT was exactly it.
The engine in my car is the standard 1.4 Volkswagon petrol engine produced for years and common as muck which I suppose makes parts cheaper.
Being German engineering I think that most work (at least what I have done) in easier than many other cars.
My car now has 65,000 miles and that was the first belt change (I have had the car since 25,000 miles)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I had my cambelt changed by a local "mobile mechanic"  I had known from 20 years ago, when I was in the Motor trade selling parts, (he was a customer then), I got the belt from the firm I used to work for, and also a gall of oil and a filter..... he did both jobs (cam belt, and oil change) for £75.00 (no vat)
(my car :-  Skoda Fabia 1.9 sdi diesel ) (2001)
I have since found another mobile mechanic, who is a lot younger, and more "up to date" with "modern cars" who seems to be quite reasonable on pricing compared to some quotes I got when I rang around..
Unfortunately for my "original man" I will be staying with the new one ! !
Community Veteran

I like your taste in cars. Bet if you look under the bonet (like my car) you will find lots of Volkswagon logos but like me you did not pay for the name.
Community Veteran

Yup! Best car I ever bought!.... comfortable, fairly nippy, (when I do my "boy racer" traffic light starts!)  Cheesy and economical too 60 - 65 mpg  Smiley
Community Veteran

Yep. A friend of mine had a VW Polo 1.9 Sdi 2001 so would have been the same engine as yours. It was an estate car so fairly heavy. He went head to head with my Ibiza a couple of years ago at an abandoned airport near me and both cars were exactly matched to 80mph. My next car will be the Ibiza 1.9 Tdi and with 130bhp it should be lots more fun! That is 30bhp more than the Renault traffic van I used to drive in an old job! Still economical and only group 7 insurance.
Community Veteran

If I could afford it, my next car would be a brand new Skoda Fabia VRS ..... now that`s a car with VRooom !
Check out the Briskoda website.... BRISKODA - pronounced "bris-skoda", a brisk skoda, a Skoda driven in a spirited or "brisk" manner.    http://briskoda.net/forums/fabia/
but I suspect my next car will be a lot less Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

Decided when bought current car ( Nov 2006) that my diesel days were over as buying decent diesel was more than I wanted to spend in cash. I'd also retired from the over 1000 miles a week club so requirements had changed.
I've never worried about image so bought 02 KIA Rio for £1650 on eBay. It's an LX so has everything except AC and had fsh. We have a local Kia dealer if I need bits - to date I've only bought air filter, cambelt and tensioner from them.
It's done everything I've asked of it, thus far, and needed no work for recent MOT.
One actually sees quite a few KIAs round here so it doesn't feel lonely when we go shopping  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That'll be the Kia dealer in Chipperfield then?
Eldest son bought Kia people carrier Sedona diesel (or sumfink like that) for use travelling to their holiday home in southern Spain. For no reason whatsoever halfway through France, pulled over to change drivers, and all the airbags went off, Kia are still investigating six months later. Latest info seems that it may have been something to do with the previous owner tampering.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

There's a KIA dealer in Leighton Buzzard - other side of town about 2.5 miles from me  Smiley
Don't know a lot about airbags but sounds expensive problem - I have indicator light that shows mine is ok but not something to tamper with.
Community Veteran

Quote from: petlew
Kia are still investigating six months later. Latest info seems that it may have been something to do with the previous owner tampering.

I am not saying this is the case but anytime I hear something like that I just asume it to be the dealer/manufacturer shifting blame from them and their product.