cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Jacket

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

New Jacket

Recently purchased a new jacket for use when fell walking, so small it can be packed into it's own pocket and weights next to nothing, the interesting thing is that it is made from Pertex Microlight and Primaloft with the claim it is shower proof but if it gets a soaking then it will still keep you warm.

That claim will soon be put to the test but it has had good reviews from users and for less than £100 I hope these claims are true.

I guess a number of companies make these coats but this specific one is from Montane Prism mens jacket.

14 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: New Jacket

Sounds like a jacket I had when I was a child can't remember the name of it but it was light, rainproof, and folded into a bag of it's own. Would your jacket rip easy though?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Steve wrote:

but it was light, rainproof, and folded into a bag of it's own.

Pac-a-mac?

2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Pac-a-mac?

Reminds me of childhood holidays in Scarborough, almost every shop on the front sold similar ones (says a lot about the British summer Smiley)

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Community Veteran

The answers to the questions you raise are answered if you look up pertex microlite and primaloft on the internet.

Such materials had never even be thought of years ago.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

However that jacket isn't waterproof and from experience with other Montane products using  the same or very similar technology it isn't too good in anything other than light showers as described here https://www.montane.co.uk/en/about-montane/technologies/pertex/pertex-microlight

Community Veteran

@Oldjim

As you say it's not waterproof, a point I made in the OP, that it was shower proof and not waterproof, the point I was getting at is that it still kept you warm when wet which I suspect few other jackets at this price do.

The link provided does not give that much detail about the product but reviews from users of this jacket which has been on the market since 2013 is fairly high.

Granted there are much better jackets on the market such as feather and down but in a much higher price range than this one.

However I have not had the chance to put it to the test so it might be better for me not to comment further in case it does not live up to expectations, in which case I will be quick to say so.

Smiley

Community Veteran

Keeping you warm when wet would be a big bonus

I was on a recent walk where I was wearing my Montane jacket and the weather which was supposed to be a few light showers was actually about 3 hours of constant rain and I was absolutely miserable so I bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291311509228 which another walker had and he was totally dry while staying cool.

I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet but given the way this summer is going I am sure I will

Steve
Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

Steve wrote:

but it was light, rainproof, and folded into a bag of it's own.

Pac-a-mac?

No not one of them but along the same lines, It had a zip on the chest so you could pack it into a pouch. I thought it was pretty cool as a child I was the only one who had one.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Steve - Either that or you were the odd one out! Thumbs Up

Fixes: 47

Youths these days are not as weather hardened as we were at their age.

I see youths walking around with hoods up, presumably trying to keep warm on a bright warm sunny day.

The jackets referred to above may well be out of their price range.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Pro

Got their hoods up to avoid the cops and CCTV most likely lol

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I'll agree with you there @Strat  where I went to Primary School it was shorts all the way up to P7 regardless of the weather!

Community Veteran

@Strat

Not sure if I agree with that, it's not uncommon to see young girls in winter wearing thin clothes and no coats even with snow on the ground, fashion is more important than function.

I guess the same applies to those wearing hoodies on very warm days.

@Oldjim

I did get one of those ponchos ? from an Army and Navy store some years ago and found it ok on tracks that were fairly level but when scrambling up or down rocks the thing was dangerous as it could easily get caught under your boot with disasterous results.

Community Veteran

I don't do scrambling - just rambling but in my case it won't catch on my boots as it isn't long enough to catch when on level tracks or medium hills (I can't do steep hills anymore)