cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New High Speed Train, BBC Video and report

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

New High Speed Train, BBC Video and report

Not going to be in service for a couple more years...but... looking good.... !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33533467
10 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: New High Speed Train, BBC Video and report

If its as good as the reply's on this thread the train wont have any customers. Just two shutter. You and me. Are you driving? Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Doesn't really apply to many who live in areas that were Beeching'd a long time ago though, if they invested money in, say, bringing back dismantled railways and creating replacements for the Pacer and Sprinter DMUs for said revived lines, then people might find access to those high-speed things more interesting... Grin
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If they had just mothballed the lines instead of selling off the land I'd guess there would be a viable alternative to the current gridlock in parts of the UK.
Those Hitachi trains are to be used out of Paddington and that line is a joke.
In the evening peak, First Great Western, in their infinate wisdom, run 2, half empty, 8 coach non stop fast trains from Reading to Paddington to 1 stopping service consisting of 2 coaches that are packed to bursting. If one of the stopping services is cancelled, not a rare occurence, then there are 4 direct Reading Paddington trains that miss out 9 stations.
Madness.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Sorry I'm late (had the tab open for ages but never got round to watching the video lol)
Train looks cool but there is a problem.. a very big one... IT'S NOT MADE BY BRITISH RAIL. What on earth are we doing letting foreign trains on our railways? It must be said Intercity lost its magic for me when it lost the BR livery.
Anyway as Kremmen says, we should have kept those unused lines - thats what the french do.. and strangely they seem to have a better quality of life out there because they're forward thinking.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Well, it'll be built up here in County Durham at the Itchihat factory, so it'll be made in britain, in theory, buuuuuuut, I still say it's a dud 'til they get round to reopening Beeching'd lines to actually get the pasengers TO the HST lines to make it a worthwhile upgrade to the british rail network...
Community Veteran

It won't happen though. The railway companies tried badgering the government into reopening the old lines years ago but the government told them to get lost.
Beeching really screwed this country over but we are very good at crippling our own nation / people.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Beeching was just the messenger. After the WWII the UK tried to continue with old infrastructure and steam trains just when people were flocking to cars and buses. The country was broke and couldn't invest. The railway was bleeding money from every orifice. Something had to give. We even gave up our liquid fuelled ballistic missile programme at around the same time.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I agree with what you're saying to a point. Running train services and maintaining the lines is an expensive job. Beeching wanted them closed and to a point, yes he did the right thing.
What he screwed up was actually ripping up the rails and closing them forever instead of leaving them in place (even if rotting) just in case there was a need for them in the future.
Maintaining a set of rails and locos etc costs money. Leaving the lines laying there doesn't - unless you're going to claim that it's costing the scrap value of the metal but the reality is that it wasn't 'costing' them that as they already owned the lines.
Thanks to his blunder, our so called g8 country that is one of the most advanced in the world (yeah right) we have a very bad transport infrastructure that is inadequate and a population that is growing very quickly and crippling it further.
Beeching and his cronies of that generation are pretty much guilty of treason. Hitler did his best to screw this country over, Beeching did a great job of finishing it.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Hitler did his best to screw this country over, Beeching did a great job of finishing it.

Indeed...
At least round these parts, some of the disused-but-intact tracks are being gradually added to the T&W Metro system, reinstating disused railway stations as Metro stations, but, it's severely limited in where it can go, they wanted to expand the metro to round here (either with their trains or with the use of trams), as once upon a time, where I presently live used to have a line running to the Consett steelworks through it, perfect line for getting commuters about, but, nope, in the anti-labour class thathered-1980s the track was ripped up when the steelworks was shut down and sold to "foreign investors", later years saw bridges dismantled, roads built over the trackbed, land sold off & houses built on top of it, and now it's gone for good, the only remnants of it are C2C cycle tracks that are used by morons on 2-stroke dirtbikes and dog walkers who can't be bothered to clean up their dog mess...
zpeterk
Grafter

I can't see what the fuss is, when the Intercity 125 was introduced in 1976 it went at new ground breaking speeds, what has this got that to reduce journey times?