cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New French Driving Law

nadger
Rising Star

New French Driving Law

I see that the law about carrying breath test kits in ones car comes into force today.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18662555
There's a 4 month period of grace but I can see French police targeting UK drivers to make easy money.
There's an 11 Euro fine for not having 2 kits in the car but Halfords are selling a double pack for £5.99 with 2 year  shelf life.
I never drink and drive but will buy a kit before next shopping trip in November.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New French Driving Law

The French really make tourists welcome don't they Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think it's safe to guess where all these crazy EU rulings keep coming from  Wink
Weird one this isn't it.. you must carry 2 breathalyzers but there is nothing to say you must use them  Lips are sealed
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I don't think it's anything to do with the EU is it? Otherwise every EU country would be doing it, and we'd have complied long before France.  It's purely a French domestic law.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Am surprised nobody is doing a nice little line in empty-sealed small black boxes with a 'sealed blow-tube' a couple of LED's and "alcootest kit" on the outside.
....................should be able to produce something for less than 50p..............
Community Veteran

I think the French want the kit to be used prior to driving away.  On the TV this morning it was stated the true level of alcohol cannot be registered until up to 30 minutes after the last drink.
David_W
Rising Star

Silly, silly law which removes responsibility from the driver.  Had a bit of a drink, let's check... oh I'm safe to drive, it says so... CRASH!  A law like this could actually encourage drink driving with people having a false sense of safety "the machine says I'm okay to drive so I'll drive!".  I know that as a biker I won't have any alcohol if I'm riding.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: hulls
I don't think it's anything to do with the EU is it?

I never said that THIS was anything to do with the EU (read what I said again) I simply suggested that all these other barmy EU decisions might have something to do with the french. Looking back at my post i think I've made that quite clear..
As for drink driving, like David W I never drink if I'm motoring (actually I've not had a drink since 2009 and that was a one day thing). If on the rare occassion I do drink it's planned and I put the keys away for 24hrs so that I can't forget and use the motor.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Having driven in France for 47 years I've had no problem with complying with their driving requirements which, except this one, are quite sensible.
I've always carried a warning triangle. Having hi-viz jackets, inside car, for all occupants is a good idea and cost very little. First aid kit and spare bulbs are not a  problem and being able to convert ones headlights to avoid blinding other motorists is common courtesy.
A lot of these requirements existed long before the EU  Smiley
Martha
Grafter

You also have to have one of those silly orange triangle things and spare bulbs by law in France! Watch out! Tongue
Community Veteran

The spare bulbs thing is getting a bit silly when many major bulbs are not "roadside" swaps; they can only be changed by a dealer/workshop.  Crazy
Fixes: 47

My front nearside indicator bulb required a socket set to gain access. I don't usually carry a socket set in the car.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Martha
You also have to have one of those silly orange triangle things and spare bulbs by law in France! Watch out! Tongue

The 'silly orange triangle thing' you refer to may just save a life if you breakdown on the road Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wonder when standard kit will also include a hi-viz jacket and gaiters (common in scandinavian countries)
itsme
Grafter

and why do you believe you have to carry spare bulbs? French hire cars have the warning triangle, hi-viz jacket but I have never come across spare bulbs.