cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Forum Rule?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

New Forum Rule?

Posting this in Chit-Chat, for discussion purposes..... as I reckon more people will read it here than in the other board.....
Propose a new Forum Rule called "Flooding".....
Flooding is my description of someone who deliberately floods a board with many  links to another website without actually giving any personal reason or view as to why they have decided to do this.  The only reason I can see, is to increase their personal exposure and post count, and on a negative side, because they have nothing else worth posting about.
There has been a recent spate over the past couple of months where this has resulted in several consecutive postings of url`s without any explanation.  I see this as an insult to the rest of the forum community on two counts.... firstly,... we are all capable of reading the news websites, and do not need a third party to do it for us, ( we can instigate News Feeds if we want them ourselves)... secondly, it takes away the "personal" input on chit chat, because there are so many. 
The chit chat forum used to be about (almost) anything BUT the news....
I am not calling for a blanket ban on news url`s...... however I do think that when someone posts a link to a news item, they should give at least three or four full lines of text of their own personal opinion/thoughts  regarding the item they have posted the link to.
This would then stimulate debate on the subject, both for and against, based on the O.P. opinion/thoughts
55 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New Forum Rule?

Quote from: shutter
I do think that when someone posts a link to a news item, they should give at least three or four full lines of text of their own personal opinion/thoughts  regarding the item they have posted the link to.

As you say, I for one find such "comment-free" links insulting and pointless, so I just ignore them. The poster is usually on my mental "ignore list" anyway, but I resent the waste of time and space.
(Reminder - wasn't that a more constructive proposal - the ability to ignore users, sections or threads?)
Not sure it's worth a rigid rule though, but certainly it's very poor etiquette as an absolute minimum and maybe repeated use warrants a warning if the mods get fed up with them.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

+1 
Chit Chat is is becoming the Daily Mail Re-publishing Service, primarily because of a handful of posters, and was largely the motivation for starting the thread mentioned by HPsauce
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,126851.0.html
PitchBlack
Grafter

+1
Also how about a new rule that bans bull**** artists for a day or two, as some posters are really starting to insult my intelligence with their inane drivel with no hard facts to base any of it on.
Community Veteran

Maybe use the new Captcha system on sign-up  ....
Community Veteran

Quote from: pwatson
Chit Chat is is becoming the Daily Mail Re-publishing Service, primarily because of a handful of posters

+1
Quote from: PitchBlack
Also how about a new rule that bans bull**** artists for a day or two, as some posters are really starting to insult my intelligence with their inane drivel with no hard facts to base any of it on.

+1
Quote from: shutter
There has been a recent spate over the past couple of months where this has resulted in several consecutive postings of url`s without any explanation.  I see this as an insult to the rest of the forum community on two counts.... firstly,... we are all capable of reading the news websites, and do not need a third party to do it for us, ( we can instigate News Feeds if we want them ourselves)... secondly, it takes away the "personal" input on chit chat, because there are so many.  

+1
Community Veteran

The only reason I can see, is to increase their personal exposure and post count, and on a negative side, because they have nothing else worth posting about. 

Tut! And here's me thinking that this is the whole raison-d'etre for this forum!
Fixes: 125

Not sure we actually need a rule covering this. We are all adults and surely we can ignore any new posts/threads as and when we wish to.
When I post links from the Daily Mail (or any other site - usually BBC.co.uk) it's because they have interested me and they may be of interest to others to discuss. I like to give a quote or two from the link with a few words either giving my reason for posting or to start a discussion.
Also how about a new rule that bans bullcrap artists for a day or two, as some posters are really starting to insult my intelligence with their inane drivel with no hard facts to base any of it on.
Who defines such posters? Where is the line drawn?
I don't particularly share the OPs views on this but fully understand why he chose to post about it. I am more concerned with the lack of tolerance between different people's political, religious and other views which ends up with name-calling, back-biting and some interesting threads being locked.
Chit Chat was fun to be around with banter, odd news items, information and jokes but for some time it seems to have lost these elements. I withdrew for a few weeks a while back and have been sorely tempted to do the same again. Would I be missed - doubt it. Would it make a difference - I doubt it. But the sticky remains at the top and it seems that not many have digested its contents.
jim:red word added to not offend the censor mod:end

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I sometimes post links from the DM but only to back up or expand my own comments I hope. It is a particularly good source of much information.
I agree with other posters about posts that simply contain a link from a website, generally the DM, or contain a cut and paste from their site dressed up to look like a comment from the poster.
I read the Daily Mail (hard copy) most days so I don't want posts reminding me of what I have already read.
@Mav, I agree with your post.
@shutter, well said.
TORPC
Grafter

How about existing rules to be enforced
E.G: Deliberate Avoidance of the swear filter,
My children look over my shoulder at any one time & they should not be subject to the deliberate avoidance of the swear filter especially when words / phrases can be easily made out
Rant over
Back on topic
Quote from: Mav
Not sure we actually need a rule covering this. We are all adults and surely we can ignore any new posts/threads as and when we wish to.
<snip>
Also how about a new rule that bans [CENSORED] artists for a day or two, as some posters are really starting to insult my intelligence with their inane drivel with no hard facts to base any of it on.
Who defines such posters? Where is the line drawn?
I don't particularly share the OPs views on this but fully understand why he chose to post about it. I am more concerned with the lack of tolerance between different people's political, religious and other views which ends up with name-calling, back-biting and some interesting threads being locked.
Chit Chat was fun to be around with banter, odd news items, information and jokes but for some time it seems to have lost these elements. I withdrew for a few weeks a while back and have been sorely tempted to do the same again. Would I be missed - doubt it. Would it make a difference - I doubt it. But the sticky remains at the top and it seems that not many have digested its contents.

It is easy to ignore post(s) / Thread(s), I do it all the time
An example to remind those who has forgotten what the CENSOR looks like
There is absolutely no need for all the (name-calling, back-biting and some interesting threads being locked, those that do it should be ashamed of themselves & also get banned for a spell
Chitchat can still be fun if the rotten apples are sorted from the barrel, & yes you would be missed
I agree & some should read / recap on http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,126894.0.html
PitchBlack
Grafter

Quote from: artmo

I read the Daily Mail (hard copy) most days so I don't want posts reminding me of what I have already read.

You mean like so and so has just died ?
nanotm
Pro

+1
Also how about a new rule that bans bullshit artists for a day or two, as some posters are really starting to insult my intelligence with their inane drivel with no hard facts to base any of it on.

you mean like people who openly declare they don't know anything about something then declare that they disagree with something purely on the ground of the person who posted it  just to start a slanging match ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, I agree, that anyone "can choose to ignore" those posts, however, it becomes onerous to have to trawl down a page of URL postings before coming on the occasional personal/interesting thread.
Once upon a time, as others have said.... this part of the forum "Chit Chat".... used to be just that..... Chit Chat.... with many different subjects/jokes/personal experiences/advice wanted/given  etc etc  ( and yes,..... the odd atrocious pun used to keep us all "entertained"........
I do not remember it being renamed or redesignated as a sub-contractor for the News Feeds that are widely available for "those that want them".... in my case, and others, we "choose to ignore" News feeds, however, when they are "in yer face" on the Chit Chat - The title being subtitled.....

The place for general chat and off topic banter. Liable to contain atrocious puns.

It will become necessary, very very shortly, for the subtitle to be changed to......... " The place for uninteresting ignorable posts...... Liable to contain News Feeds " .....
It is being suggested that ignoring those posts is the way to go..... however, if the whole first page, or very much a large section of it  is the contents of News Feed URL`s, then there is little point in having the board called "Chit Chat"... The place for general chat and off topic banter. as it will be ignored by default, as people drift away from using the Chit Chat for General Chat.......
PitchBlack
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
you mean like people who openly declare they don't know anything about something then declare that they disagree with something purely on the ground of the person who posted it  just to start a slanging match ?

I think you will find that " not being and expert on something" and " openly declaring they don't know anything about something" are two very very different things.
Community Veteran

you mean like people who openly declare they don't know anything about something then declare that they disagree with something purely on the ground of the person who posted it  just to start a slanging match ?

I think he means just the opposite actually. People who declare they know everything about everything and then show that they don't!