cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Electricity meter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

New Electricity meter

Had a phone call from Scottish Power this morning to say they would be changing the Electricity Meter later this week.
The House is just over 20 years old. Is it a standard policy for meters to be changed a frequent intervals. I thought it might be one of these smart meters and I could understand that but apparently it's just another standard meter.
Anyone else had there meter changed as routine ?
My immediate neighbours are not with Scottish power but their providers have not been in touch with them
34 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: New Electricity meter

Yes, I believe that I'm on my 4th meter since moving in 22 years ago. Admittedly the last one was down to me changing utility provider to get a smart meter fitted but I believe the electronic versions have to be changed every 10 years and the older electro-mechanical every 25 years.
Fixes: 104

Our house is 11 years old and we've had it changed in the last year.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I had mine done last year.
It was a very quick job, all though the ever increasing frequency of my UPS beeps may have sped him along somewhat.
They (npower) keep threatening to do my gas meter but haven't come round to do it yet.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Had ours done last year, from an analogue to a digital meter, (not a smart meter).
nadger
Rising Star

We had a small Actaris digital meter fitted 4 years ago and gas meter changed March this year.
Heloman
Grafter

Maybe the old meter can't cope with today's increase:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13685915
nadger
Rising Star

It's some price rise - we are still on fixed price deals until next March, with BG & Eon, but it's worrying.
WFA reduces this year, to £200, which won't help  Cry
oldgeezer
Grafter

It used to be a requirement by the old Board of Trade (I think) that electricity meters were re-calibrated every 10 or 12 years. In practice this meant a meter swop for a recently calibrated meter, although the replacement might be donkey's years old as long as it passed the calibration checks.
Nowadays many supply companies fit solid state (not necessarily smart) meters which are accurate over a wider range of loading.
The modern meters have a low external magnetic field compared to the electro-magnetic rotating disc meters and so there might be H & S implications.
oldgeezer
gswindale
Grafter

I've only been able to find one supplier that seems to do smart meters for residential properties (First Utility).
It would make sense for them to be switched over as it would reduce costs for the utility companies (no meter readers to employ to incorrectly read the meters for instance).  The initial investment may be costly; however it is beneficial for all parties (no more estimated bills etc).
itsme
Grafter

They are the supplier I am with and I would not recommend them. Waiting for them to comply with the recommendation of the Ombudsman.
Edit British Gas according to Which are also started installing Smart Meters.
nadger
Rising Star

A couple of BG employees have told me that smart meters are on the way but one fitted on 24th March was old style.
oldgeezer
Grafter

On a slightly different tack, Yorkshire Water have been fitting a little transponder unit to their water meters for a while now. Ours was converted several months ago.
They still employ a meter reader but all he has to do is walk  to the top of the drive, push a button or two on his hand-held gadget and the transponder sends the current meter reading to him.
Perhaps the other utilities will adopt  something similar, then there would be no need for continuous radio signals.
HD
itsme
Grafter

Continuous Radio signals? My Smart Meter use GPRS and only phone home once a day, would not say that was continuous.
john50
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
A couple of BG employees have told me that smart meters are on the way but one fitted on 24th March was old style.

I'm with British Gas and we had Smartmeters fitted last year, perhaps we were Guinea pigs!
Great fun shouting at the wife to turn something off when the display on the usage moniter goes in the red  Grin