cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Digital timer Pedestrian Crossing

Community Veteran

New Digital timer Pedestrian Crossing

A trial of a new pedestrian crossing light is to be tested in London.  They have a digital timer built into them showing the time you have left to cross the road.  I've seen these in use in the US and they are very effective in cutting accidents

Pedestrian Light
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New Digital timer Pedestrian Crossing

I suspect however that those accidents saved are only ones caused by people silly enough to start crossing the road during the blackout period (assuming the US ones work the same as our traditional pelican crossings). Thus, whilst I agree that the crossings are a good idea, I can't help but wonder if perhaps a lot of money could be saved if people simply exercised a little more common sense – or perhaps if better information about how to ‘use’ a crossing was made available to pedestrians.
Community Veteran

A lot of accidents were caused, before the new timers were installed, by pedestrians not knowing how long they had to cross and if the lights were about to change. they have certainly had an effect on road safety.
Here's another article with more details:
Traffic Lights
Community Veteran

bring it on.  watching some of the slower old dears dithering at crossings is painful.  there are junctions where you take your life in your hands not knowing when the lights will change.
Community Veteran

There are pedestrians that think they have an automatic right to cross a road wherever and whenever they like.  Cyclists are another group that need to read and obey the highway code more than some of them do Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

so what Braintree has a pedestrian street, the boy racers think that they are OK as well