Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Data laws

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

New Data laws

this could be fun , A new EU regulation governing how organisations should handle and protect our personal data. 

The new regulations give us rights to see what personal data organisations hold on us - we can make what's called a "subject access request" for free.

We can also demand that such data be rectified if it's incorrect or deleted under the "right to be forgotten".

We will also have to give explicit permission for our data to be used, and this request for consent must be given "in an intelligible and easily accessible form".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40441434   and could lead to bigger Fines !!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Link fixed.

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
9 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: New Data laws

@rongtw

Link not working Sad

Does this regulation apply to the UK, as we in the process of leaving the EU.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
paul_blitz
Rising Star

(that link didn't work for me.... couldn't quickly find the article either)

Much of this has been law for many years already....you can already ask anyone for a copy of the data that they hold on you (although they are allowed to charge a small fee). You can ask for errors to be corrected / noted. And data users can only hold data on you "for a suitable length of time" (ie it depends what the data is being used for how long is "suitable")

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep, can't see link.

I thought you had the rights to do this before, but the company could charge an admin fee. Just appears it is now free?

I could be wrong.

Community Veteran

@paul_blitz

Beat me to it Smiley

Yes, as you said companies have to prove when they hold data, and also justification for it.

For example if I were to leave PlusNet (or any company for that matter), they could be accountable for having my personal details still within their system without a valid reason. Especially if it has been a period of time.

Community Veteran

Thanks Strat for fixing the link.

Reading it, I can't find anything which has changed.

The only thing I can think of is IP address which can identify you, I guess if static the ISP will know (so you'd have to go to them) and if dynamic presumably they'd have logs of who had what when.

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Leaving EU will mean we have new rules on everything more or less right ? So the uk will be able to knock up new data protection rules i would have thought.

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

@Strat thanks for fixing the link Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

We haven't left yet.

We haven't even talked sensibly with the EU about leaving yet...

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman Presumably (if one can presume anything where government is concerned) the Great Repeal Bill will cover EU legislation that's enacted by the EU during the Brexit process.

@rongtw Last time I checked our Data Protection Act it was an offence to hold incorrect information on computers, and required the immediate removal or amendment of such information once the error had been brought to light.  I wonder if it's as easy as getting a full and immediate refund from your bank if you've been overcharged via DD (i.e. not easy at all)?