cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Company Website Design

LiamM
Grafter

New Company Website Design

(Note to mods:  If you think this is advertising - please do what you need to do and remove)
Morning all,
In my new job, one of my roles is to take overall responsibility for our websites and web development strategy.  We work with an offshore development team in India who do some of the work, as well as a local contracted developer / designer.  I have enough experience to maintain the websites and the smaller developments - but the more experienced guys handle the full designs and harder developments to my specification.  We have around 9 websites in total so, as you can imagine, it's generally busy on the web development front!
Anywya, our current company website is at http://www.originalorganics.co.uk
I want to 'update' it and 'enhance' it with the effect of making it look more fresh, modern and more user-friendly.  I tasked this to our Indian colleagues and the attached is where they got to with some feedback. 
I've made use of PUG's critical eye already but I know there are loads of people here who have a good eye for detail, some good ideas and it's always good to get more people to give an opinion than just me!  Being a fairly small company (10 employees) I, unfortunately, don't have lots of resource to drain creative ideas from so really it's all down to me!  And I don't want to get set in my ways so therefore I am posting here to get feedback from a wider bunch of good people.
So, attached is out latest mockup.  It needs a couple more tweaks but I'm relatively happy with it.  Does anyone have any thoughts / ideas?  Things to watch out for etc.. etc..
Cheers in advance.
Liam
6 REPLIES
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Re: New Company Website Design

Liam,
Sorry to be a pain. Make sure the spelling and grammar is checked. On the existing website I noticed a confusion between 'complimenting and complementing'.
LiamM
Grafter

Not being a pain, Bob.  I'm not the best at spelling and grammar and I don't have a QA department - so thanks for pointing out an error!
Community Veteran

Indeed, in terms of spelling/grammar I did notice a couple of things in the mockup:

• 'Gurantee' should be spelt 'guarantee'.

• 'Supploed' should be spelt 'supplied' - though I guess that was just a typo.

• 'All our Wormeries are supplied with your need' makes no sense whatsoever.

• There're capital letters in various places they shouldn't be. Notably, 'wormery' should only be capitalised when it's part of the title of something (e.g. 'Click here to view our Wormery range' is wrong). The speech bubble with all of the words capitalised is also very wrong.

I know you say that's just a mockup made by the Indian guys though, so I expect some (or even all of those) mistakes are their fault - but still, be careful: poor adherence to rules of English spelling/grammar is easy to fix but makes things look sloppy to people who notice those things.
On the design front, I also have a couple of thoughts:

• The two words in the logo aren't quite lined up properly (assuming you want the two 'I's to be lined up).

• The differently-sized headings of 'Track My Order', 'Subscribe to Newsletter' and 'Newsfeed from our Blog' might look better if their sizes are unified.

• The 'Home' link at the bottom of the page looks a little lonely - you could probably get rid of it and just leave people to click the site's logo to return to the home page, or you could maybe squeeze it in above 'About Us'.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Liam
I like your existing site, wen you do your new one make shoower that it compliys with the Disability Discrimination Act - 1995 (DDA) I don't want to be a pain but sorry if I am been a pain.
On your new site try not to use graphics  instead of text, for example your phone number, a number of web sites replace the text with graphics, I know it looks cool to have nice shiny new graphics but Stop & Think do I need them?
Just my 2p werth.  Wink
LiamM
Grafter

We'll do our very best to comply, Gary.  Some of the headers may well need to be images, but they'll have associated alt texts that can be read by a screenreader.
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
I know you say that's just a mockup made by the Indian guys though, so I expect some (or even all of those) mistakes are their fault - but still, be careful: poor adherence to rules of English spelling/grammar is easy to fix but makes things look sloppy to people who notice those things.

Yep.  Most of it has been nicked by them so typos and errors shouldn't make it into the final version which will be edited by me.
Quote from: Be3G
On the design front, I also have a couple of thoughts:

• The two words in the logo aren't quite lined up properly (assuming you want the two 'I's to be lined up).

• The differently-sized headings of 'Track My Order', 'Subscribe to Newsletter' and 'Newsfeed from our Blog' might look better if their sizes are unified.

• The 'Home' link at the bottom of the page looks a little lonely - you could probably get rid of it and just leave people to click the site's logo to return to the home page, or you could maybe squeeze it in above 'About Us'.

Thanks for those.  All good feedback sent to my designer, with the exception of the logo one which seems to have been like that (very slightly out) since first designed 15 years ago!