Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Car

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

New Car

No not me, some friends of ours were showing us their new seat car.

Looking at the front grill on the car there were fairly large spaces between each bar on the grill and what clearly looked like the radiator behind it except of course it was not the radiator but the air conditioning unit.

Air does need to get into the engine compartment but the less protected the aircon is the more vulnerable to damage by stone chips from other cars, not uncommon for a windscreen to get the odd chip or even break but being much lower to the ground the number of stones hitting the front of the car increases.

Looking at some other models of cars gaps in the front grills are much smaller, and it would not be hard on some models to add a fine mesh behind the grill.

Imagine the bill to replace a damaged airconditioner.

On reflection perhaps that the whole idea !

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: New Car

Yes I can remember way back when before cars had the massive plastic bumpers the front metalwork of the car was the first to get chipped and rusty from stones.  Now the stones still hit the bumpers but at least the plastic does not go rusty.

I prefer a smaller mesh across the grill,  and on one car I fitted my own mesh because I was not happy with the large gaps in the bumper grill - yes air-conditioning radiators are expensive kit, and a nightmare to access and change, and a lot of cars now with large sloping windscreen need air-conditioning more than ever.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Maybe its aerodynamically designed so that stones don't hit it! Smiley Maybe your friend needs a Bra! Yep, learn something new every day!

My Corsa certainly isn't aerodynamically designed. I can honestly say I've never had a car bonnet or windscreen get hit by so many  stones. Whereas my Alhambra (Seat) hardly ever took a hit.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

A nice addition to have I suppose, but I do wonder at times about adding things like this along with tinted windows at the side of cars in what after all is a country that lets face it is more Manchester than Miami.

Needs and fashions imposed or otherwise change I guess. Anybody remember ash trays? 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

If you saw the size of my friend you would realise it would be foolish to tell him he needed a bra.

Joking apart that's an interesting link.

Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Not understanding the reference sorry. Cool_smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

Sorry my comment was in response to @idonno  thread about bra.

Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I'll have a vinyl roof, go faster stripes, and fluffy dice to go with that.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could always buy a Chinese car, they come with fluffy Rice !

http://www.chinawhisper.com/top-10-chinese-car-brands/

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Do you have 'Bill not Ben' across the top of the windscreen as well? Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I had forgotten those once common sticker sun shades.