cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New £1 coin, looks like old 3d bit (and probably worth about the same)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

New £1 coin, looks like old 3d bit (and probably worth about the same)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-1-coin-pound-will-have-12-sides-and-two-colours-w...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02m7sf9
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New £1 coin, looks like old 3d bit (and probably worth about the same)

it looks a nice coin. The shape is a blast from the past as you say Wink
Community Veteran

Will all supermarket shopping trolleys have to be 'upgraded' to accept the new coin, I wonder...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Not only supermarket trollies. Think of all the machines that take the present £1 coin Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: w23
Will all supermarket shopping trolleys have to be 'upgraded' to accept the new coin, I wonder...

Well, our Morrisons won`t..... they have still got the coin grabber on the handle, but they have all been "fixed" and you don`t need a coin to use them now.... great ! .. Smiley
Community Veteran

the newspaper reported that the "four" british plants were represented, overlooking the oak leaves nestling beside the thistle.
it's a beautiful design; well done that lad.  i shall enjoy having the "thrupney bit" back, even if that is all it's worth.
Community Veteran

Can't wait for the new coins, I'm getting tired of having so many fake coins spat out at me by the self-service tills that gave me them in the first place... Roll eyes
Makes me wonder though, will an old thrupenny bit work in place of a new £1 coin? Huh
kmilburn
Grafter

From last years announcement about the new coins...
[quote=http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/news/the-new-1-pound-coin]A public design competition will be held at a later date to choose the design for the reverse, or ‘tails’, of the coin which is expected to be introduced in 2017.
We now have the winning design,  but still have some time to wait before they're in circulation...
Community Veteran

I assume the delay in issuing the new shaped coins is to give time for machine manufacturers to modify their machines.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Allow vending machine and ticket machines to read your implanted personal identity chip then match it with facial recognition. They could then automatically debit your bank account/benefit pool. It's more difficult to forge this process. Not to mention being an ideal way for the government to track your movements, corporations to target you with advertising and also lock out illegal persons from services. Cash is far too easy.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Not being an expert (in fact being totally ignorant) on how vending machines handle coins
How would they cope with a coin which doesn't have a constant width
Even the present 20p coin is of almost constant width because the flat on one side is matched by a rounded corner on the opposite side
Community Veteran

Minor correction:
Quote from: Oldjim
Even the present 20p coin is of almost constant width

The 50p and 20p coins actually have a constant 'diameter' by design despite having a non-circular shape.
For those not hit too hard be the recession:
Take several coins (4 is good) of the same value and stand them up to form 4 corners of a square (around 4-6 inches apart) with all coins facing the same way then place a board or similar on top of the coins then 'roll' the board along and you'll find that it doesn't move up and down as it rolls (as you'd likely first expect).
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Not being an expert (in fact being totally ignorant) on how vending machines handle coins

Ask the Aussies, their 50 Cent coin is of a similar shape to the new quid, and their version coin acceptors must accept them easily enough... Smiley
Community Veteran

As long as the slot is big enough I don't think the shape is too much of a problem.
Many modern coin machines have electronics with a 'learning' mode, they detect things like weight and magnetic 'signature' and can be programmed to new coins by being 'fed' a quantity as a sample then programmed to recognise anything matching the samples as a particular value.
Call me 'w23'
Fixes: 123

The thru'penny bit and the tanner were 2 coins I really liked. Nice to see the same returning.
I can never forget Decimal Day as it was my birthday in 1971 Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still