cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network security

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Network security

Each time I boot up my PC without fail I get a Kapersky AV pop-up warning that my network security is weak.
In my routers set up I am advised I am on the high rate of security WPA2-PSK. The Kapersky pop-up suggests the security can be improved by uprating to...WPA2-PSK
Checking around some local networks that list in my connection pop-up, most are on WPA2-PSK except one on just PSK and two BT wi-fi's that are unsecured
So it seems to me in spite of Kapersky's dire warning there is not much I can do, unless members here know better?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Network security

Unless you are using wep or wps (check that) it is the strongest you can have without a separate server.
Wps could be the issue, it is the "press this button to connect the network" you get on some devices.
Community Veteran

This laptop has a key (F12) that can toggle internet, but otherwise nothing else to toggle the network.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran

That's interesting OJ, I will take a long look at that.
Are you though advising that my AV may not be telling me my network is low security, but one or more of those in my local list?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

That is what I suspect - of course I may be wrong
Community Veteran

There's a certain elegance about your idea OJ, unfortunately, the AV pop-up names my network as having weak security in spite by other replies here I can't improve it.
The list of local networks varies in content considerably during the day, but the two unsecured BT wi-fi's seem pretty well permanent fixtures in the list.
In spite of what the pop-up says I'm inclined to lean towards your theory.
Just to have a good look at the pop-up I've just done a boot, the pop-up only stays on screen for a couple of seconds, and in very small print at the bottom there is an option "don't show this again" I very tempted to use it next time I boot the computer.