cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network rail saying its too expensive is one thing... but this is ridiculous.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Network rail saying its too expensive is one thing... but this is ridiculous.

I think many of us have probably heard about the network rail top brass moaning that its so expensive to move their staff on the trains... and that its cheaper to fly them around the country...
Well today the once great United Kingdom has Krumbled one step further because:

So you now have to travel ABROAD to get a decent train ticket cost it seems... just to travel within our own country.
Me personally I wouldn't do it (even if i did have a passport) however I can see this appealing to some people and more ticket price checking websites turning up offering to compare trains vs planes etc.
So.. have we finally hit a point where renationalisation needs to be examined? I think so. When you're offered the choice of pollutting the atmosphere with thousands of litres of burnt jet fuel as a cheaper way of travelling along two thin strips of metal within our own country then something needs to be looked at again.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
20 REPLIES
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Network rail saying its too expensive is one thing... but this is ridiculous.

lol i was just reading that
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Network rail saying its too expensive is one thing... but this is ridiculous.

Original non-DM source:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/deals-hunter/2016/01/26/flew-home-via-berlin-cheaper-than-tra...
Still, it does show that rail travel in this country has hyper-inflated, there is no good reason for it costing so much, even taking national express coaches to the same destination is cheaper (if a lot slower), it's just filthy profiteering at the end of the day, as there's no justification for such high prices of mass-transit when thousands of people are paying into it every day...
Community Veteran

So he saved £7.72 on a £47 fare and he could have taken a National Express coach. Bit of a non story if you ask me  Lips are sealed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I suppose the story is that one expects air travel to be more expensive. Coach travel is assumed to be cheaper.
As the blogger himself wrote in the MSE article
"Is it worth it?
Ok, this isn’t for everyone as it can take a whole day to get to your final destination, but if you’re not in a rush, your focus is saving money and you fancy a little walk around a European city, it’s worth a look. "
Community Veteran

What we really need is Ryanrail and Easytrain competing for passengers on the same routes.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

The other anomaly in railfares is the ability to split tickets which I don't know if it is available on the route in the story. But I used to do Manchester airport Scarborough regularly, from memory the direct single fare was around £50, if I bought two tickets Manchester Airport York and York Scarborough the total was around £30.  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Split ticketing was in the article but of no value at the time of writing.
Fixes: 47

It says he flew from East Midlands Airport which is 50 miles south of Sheffield.
The cost of that 50 mile journey needs adding on...unless he walked.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

The moneysavingexpert link above says he spent £8.20 in train/bus fares to Midlands airport which is included in the costs as well as well as the bus from Stansted to home at £8.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Ah...I didn't read that far down the article Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

tldr?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

He must have been very hungry by the end - just add up the total times including getting through security - and all he had was a sausage for lunch
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
and all he had was a sausage for lunch

You've never had german sausages, have you? Grin
Community Veteran

It just shows what an over complicated mess just buying a ticket has become.
Why not one journey one price.
Then again the same could be said for gas, electric, banks interest rates, etc.
Surely all these "respected" businesses are not trying to confuse the consumer. Cheesy