cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix via VPN

Fixes: 47

Netflix via VPN

Not that it affects me but according to this article in the Independent....
Netflix has begun blocking subscribers who use tools like VPNs to access films and TV shows not permitted in their country.
Following pressure from movie studios - which want full control over what people can watch where - the video streaming giant is cracking down on users that circumvent geolocation restrictions, according to TorrentFreak.

I suppose it relies on your actual IP address being recognised as having a UK location unlike some hereabouts Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Netflix via VPN

Kim Jong Un will be pleased.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Same ole same, We looked at renting a film last night with the PS3, thieir price to rent £7.99 SD.
Price to buy the DVD from Asda 2 minutes away £5, CRAZY.... It's no wonder people use torrents etc, never mind getting stuff from netflix!
I can't see that streaming from the US is a winner anyway, sounds like a bad idea ?
Community Veteran

The movie companies still simply "dont get it".
They are still hanging onto 1980s style exclusivity time limited deals based on region etc in a now modern global market where the young are hostile to that type of product, if they dont adapt then piracy will skyrocket.
The obvious ways to detect VPN services is look at the ip ranges owned and # of logins from a given ip, but sadly I think they will use more advanced techniques such as looking at timezone of device and geolocation via GPS etc.
The real ip isnt reported on a VPN neither proxies that deny the x-forwarded-for header.
If the action is aggressive enough the outcome is a foregone conclusion, less subscribers to netflix who in turn will not be able to afford to pay the movie companies as much and more piracy.
Fixes: 104

they're not blocking my vpn yet Wink
agree with chrcoluk, the movie companies are behaving like dinosaurs. think there was a report that if you wanted to see all the 'blockbuster' films in the uk you'd need to pay for 27 different services.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I think it's more that TV/film studios sell their rights to different broadcasters in different countries. Some will have exclusive rights and they won't be happy if someone is accessing 'exclusive' content from a competing provider.
I wouldn't have thought it's a major issue, but if it is affecting the licensing agreements of certain content, then it's understandable that the TV/film studios are putting pressure on Netflix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And to think, back in the day they wanted to demand a subscription to use a video recorder, well, sky managed to do that with their £10 sky+ recording tax, but the movie industry didn't get that far... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

"Piracy" will continue until the Establishment deals with the real pirates of the media.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nadger
Rising Star

Netflix USA has a much better programme range.
I use UnoTelly, which is paid for in dollars, so will see what happens,