cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix or Lovefilm?

jmd
Grafter

Netflix or Lovefilm?

Now I have fibre, unlimited BB, and a Smart DVD Player that can stream films I am looking at the various companies that do that.  Just wondered if folk felt that there was one that was best and most reasonable?
Also, If you register on Laptop can you acually use it on the Smart Player? 
17 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: Netflix or Lovefilm?

We chose Netflix. We took out the 3 month free trial on both and decided that the selection of films (mainly family) and tv series (daughter has watched the 3 series of H20 Just add Water about 4 times and counting) was better. Also, Lovefilm (currently) has only one ‘speed’ whereas Netflix has 3 speed settings which we’ve noticed has resulted in far better picture quality. Price wise there might be a quid in it from memory but Netflix suits our family better.
I don’t know the answer to your question about the Smart Player but Netflix can be shown on 3 separate devices in the house at one time, and often is! 
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

They both offer free trials. You're best off trying both out to see who's library better suits you. I personally found Netflix is better for TV shows and older and independent content etc but LOvefilm is better for newer releases.
So I have/use both.
If you use Netflix, its also worth looking at a proxy/VPN/smart DNS/browser plugin to get access to the US/Canadian libraries as the content differs.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

If you do the LF free trial through Topcashback you will get £ 15.15 (end in 3 days) Smiley
Regards
Mike
Mike
jmd
Grafter

Thanks for that, will try Lovefilm on that basis first now but still interested in what others think!
kdoug007
Grafter

the  problem i guess  is  really  this..
how  can u  watch  net-flix/love films  on the  tellie..
i  mean im sure most  folk  , dont  want to spend  2  hrs  watching  a  movie  etc on a  17"  screen,,
OK  i have a  apple  tv  and  net  flix  is  there..  that  said love  films  is  not...
DaveyH
Pro

Lovefilm  and Netflix apps are available on lots of devices, so you aren't limited to watching it on a PC.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We have lovefilm, though I must admit we find the selection to be a bit poor.  We registered on a laptop, but you can access from many portable devices, smartphones etc. Also through xbox, Wii ( though it is always buffering on that).  I believe it allows you to use any device from your registered email address ( does that make sense - your IP address?)
You can always connect laptop to VGA input on tv, though if your tv has internet access I don't believe that would be necessary.
nadger
Rising Star

One can use Roku with Netflix but not Lovefilms.
DaveyH
Pro

To be fair the libraries of any of the streaming services aren't great for the latest blockbusters, but that's the fault of the studios, as they seem to have nothing but contempt for streaming and will only allow movies to be streamed once they've squeezed every last cent of profit out of physical media.
jmd
Grafter

Well have registered for free trial with Lovefilm[via Topcashback!] and can watch on my TV via the Smart DVD Player.  Can also use the same device for watching Netflix, Youtube, Vimeo, etc etc.
Am going to try out a film later today.
kdoug007
Grafter

Quote from: DaveyH
Lovefilm  and Netflix apps are available on lots of devices, so you aren't limited to watching it on a PC.

the  problem is , we  dont  all have  ipads/ipods 
DaveyH
Pro

Keith this has been done to death with you on another forum (every time a streaming thread turns up), and appears you either take no notice or just don't understand.
YOU DON'T NEED AN IPAD OR IPOD. Your problem is the ATV and its limited functionality!
jmd
Grafter

To go back to original query, registered with Lovefilm but not impressed with offerings and certainly not impressed with fact that the streaming service does not offer subtitles.  Being hard of hearing I find those invaluable.  Lovefilm have replied to my query to say that they cannot have those when you use streaming but the DVDs have them.  I do not want DVDs particularly.  However will watch something to qualify for the cashback offer!
So need to find out if Netflix have subtitles on the films they stream next.
CX
Grafter

If you go with Netflix, you have the option of using UnoDNS to get a bit more choice from your subscription, and UnoDNS will also allow the likes of Hulu.