cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix etc

nadger
Rising Star

Netflix etc

With forum debate continuing about Blockbuster I'd be interested to know which, if any, online film services people use.
Like many others I've now signed up to " unlimited" and currently use free film services with Roku. Some films are worth watching but most are garbage.
There are various " free first month" offers but ......
I see that Which did this recently.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Netflix etc

Any online viewing I do is on youtube.
Believe it or not they even have a few films too - not that I watch any of them as I'm not really into films much these days.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

I tried watching one of the free ones several days ago on YouTube. It was a Laurel & Hardy film. I thought 'Oh, good. I haven't seen any of them for a long time.' The quality is very poor. I closed the page after about ten seconds.
Community Veteran

Which is odd because I watched a film a while back on youtube and despite being nothinbg but cheese the quality was fine.
Razer
Grafter

I think they just got their hands on a pre-fixed-up print and didn't want to pay for the fixed one.
Community Veteran

Print? It's not a book. Youtube does moving images via a stream with sound. Nothing to print there.
Razer
Grafter

'Print' is a reference to the film itself, from which subsequent copies, in whatever form, are made. Whether you have a digital stream on YouTube, watch a DVD or a Blu-ray, they all come from a print.
Community Veteran

Either way your last comment about a pre-fixed print made little sense to me (sorry!).
Razer
Grafter

I meant that the print they may have got is one made before the Laurel & Hardy films were remastered; still full of scratches and very degraded.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I use get_iplayer or XBMC with NAVI-X to download current releases (BBC or current films).
XBMC mostly needs conversion from AVI to MP4 to play on my TV via my Raspberry Pi.
I use my PC as a NFS server over ethernet for the Pi.
Free of charge.  Grin