cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest Smart Thermostat

Fixes: 47

Nest Smart Thermostat

Nest Thermostat has a 150º wide-angle view to help turn on Auto-Away if no one’s home

Just because it hasn't seen me for a while doesn't mean I'm out Roll eyes
I could be in the bathroom or in bed.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
20 REPLIES
acr
Rising Star

Re: Nest Smart Thermostat

The Nest Thermostat may look good but it is not without its flaws. I also don't like the fact that in the UK it has to be plugged into a mains socket using a USB cable and adapter (it can't be hardwired into the mains) and yet every advert you see shows Nest on a wall without the cable going to a nearby mains socket.
When I was looking for a Smart Thermostat I went with Tado which avoids both those issues.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

That sounds quite ugly to me, who'd want that stuck to their wall!
Surely it must be smart enough to know your pattern of being in the house. From what little I know it's meant to learn your preferences so it should know when you're in bed as you turn it down, then up again when you're up and about. So what if you have a big dog that has free roam I assume it keeps the heat on so it doesn't get cold?

I wonder if my cat, which has the freedom of the downstairs area at night, would trigger it Undecided
acr
Rising Star

From what I understand, Nest will go into Auto-Away mode if it does not detect movement for 2 hours. So after you leave the house your heating will still be on for up to 2 hours needlessly and if you are at home you need to be in the same area to Nest or it could switch off. It may well learn your movements over time but you then need to have a regular routine for it to work effectively.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I had the Samsung "Smart home" kit for a trial. What a waste of space!
So it can detect when your "smart phone" is approaching and turn on the light etc. I don't carry a smart phone or any phone with me. It all seems like a solution looking for a problem this IoT.
I have spoken with fellow brewers who want wifi on their kit so they can monitor it on their phones  Tongue I blame it on the yoof brought up with a phone glued to their hand/ear. I was over 30 when I bought my FIRST mobile phone, over 20 years ago now.
Yes I do have a smart phone, but I rarely use it, other than as a gps or email client. I certainly don't take it everywhere with me, I don't want bothered when walking the dog or why.
Maybe if I lived in a mansion and had loads of empty space then it might be useful to have zoned heating etc, but in a 2 bed house it is overkill. I have TRV's on most of the rads and control the heating using them.

I have a programmable room thermostat.
I did consider a Nest when they came out as it suits the gadget freak in me but decided it wasn't worth the money.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
Maybe if I lived in a mansion and had loads of empty space then it might be useful to have zoned heating etc, but in a 2 bed house it is overkill. I have TRV's on most of the rads and control the heating using them.

I believe it's now a requirement on new builds of 2 storey to have an upstairs and downstairs zones.
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
I believe it's now a requirement on new builds of 2 storey to have an upstairs and downstairs zones.

If that is the case then someone has nothing better to do with their time, isn't that totally pointless?
What's wrong with a thermostat on a radiator? It works for me and has done for many many years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

not really as presumably you can turn upstairs right down via a time clock when not using it
Community Veteran

True, but with heat rising...
So if you then shut your upstairs doors, the stats on the radiators would shut them down, so no need to 'zone' anything.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Except that with the door to the upstairs shut the temperature upstairs will still be controlled by the radiator stats at the same temperature regardless as to the time of day
In our case the upstairs heating doesn't come on until about 8.00pm whereas the downstairs comes on at about 5pm
Community Veteran

OK, I see that now, but I've not seen a house with a door to the upstairs for many, many years, in fact I don't know of any person that I know that has a door to their upstairs. Certainly in an older property, but fair enough.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I go even simpler. I have a curtain that drapes down the stair when the heating is on. Result is no loss of heat to upstairs. Probably only of use if like me you have a covered stairway.
itsme
Grafter

Think it's a case that if you are not familiar with programmable room stats then you can't see the benefits of zone heating.