cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neodymium

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Neodymium

I recently purchased some 10mm x 1mm Neodymium magnets from e bay for a few pounds for a small project.

Quite amazed at the power of these magnets, there are a number of youtube videos demonstrating the power of these magnets, this being one example,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t8yDnyOaQ8

Warning: Do not watch this video if you are easily shocked or upset at the sight of gore.

Wink

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Neodymium

I was quite repelled at that video, but at the same time strangely attracted to it. Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks for the post... been looking for something like this for a project...

( note you can also get ( ) shaped magnets from inside an old hard drive...  ( see further down the you tube list ).. )

Fixes: 47

I started my working life as a trainee at a steel works in Sheffield.

The company had a magnet department where magnets of various shapes and sizes were made with names like Alnico and Alcomax.

I borrowed a horseshoe shaped magnet intended for use in a radar and stuck it on the side of a steel locker.

Unfortunately I couldn't return it as no-one could get it off the locker.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I knew a bloke years ago who  had a super strong magnet and said it was useful at the arcade with the machines that push the coins as he could keep it in his pocket, put a coin in, turn his pocket to the glass and miraculously win. 

Learnt his lesson when someone put it on his TV though (back in the days of crt boxes). He said it took 6 weeks to return to normal lol. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

So,... which coins are actually magnetical attractive then  ? Huh

Community Veteran

None that I know contain ferrous metal, so maybe it was to do with the machine?

Community Veteran

7up wrote:

I knew a bloke years ago.. 

Learnt his lesson when someone put it on his TV though (back in the days of crt boxes). He said it took 6 weeks to return to normal lol. 

And even then he said it was 20 odd years ago Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Problem with Neodymium magnets, they are fragile, drop one on the floor and your likely to end up with 2 pieces. The polarity will be such that the pieces will not rejoin!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

shutter wrote:

So,... which coins are actually magnetical attractive then  ? Huh

1d, 2d, 5d and 10d.

The 1d and 2d changed from bronze to copper-plated steel in 1992

the 5d and 10d changed in Jan 2012

LordFox
Grafter

NIB magnets are incredible. Proof of the pudding:

DSC_0385a.jpg

The magnets are 12x10x8mm - I have a load of them on my magnetic notice board. They actually make me a little nervous, and are kept well away from my automatic watches, mobile phones and hard disks. In the loft I have a few bigger ones, carefully wrapped in a large box. Included are some that are 50x50x25mm N42 grade magnets which are quite capable of breaking/crushing intervening fingers!

The magnets are easily broken if allowed to fly together, which they will do over a surprising distance. I used to pull apart dead hard disks to get the NIB magnets out. There's a neat trick to make a motor out of a AA cell, a small NIB  magnet a loop of stiff copper wire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOdboRYf1hM

Community Veteran

According to the Royal Mint some coins are magnetic, so it must have been a monster magnet to pull coins off a Penny Falls machine.

And fixing a CRT that's had a magnet next to it can be done using a Soldering Gun, by turning it on and moving it around the affected area while holding the case near to the screen. Bit late now I know but ...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My smartphone case picks up small change in my pocket lol
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

journeys wrote:

Problem with Neodymium magnets, they are fragile, drop one on the floor and your likely to end up with 2 pieces. The polarity will be such that the pieces will not rejoin!

Dang !... and I just ordered two...  !   I should have ordered one big(ger) one... and dropped it...  !

Community Veteran

Mook wrote:

According to the Royal Mint some coins are magnetic, so it must have been a monster magnet to pull coins off a Penny Falls machine.

And fixing a CRT that's had a magnet next to it can be done using a Soldering Gun, by turning it on and moving it around the affected area while holding the case near to the screen. Bit late now I know but ...

He did say it was about 15-20cm in diameter originally but that it was half a magnet (he found it somewhere i think he said) so I'm guessing a semi circle shaped thing about 10cm wide. He said he still had it in his loft - kept away from any electronics lol.

He wasn't an electronics person so there is no way he'd be able to fix his TV..