Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nelson Mandela has passed away

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Nelson Mandela has passed away

Live on BBC and SKY News now.

Nelson Mandela has died, South African President Jacob Zuma has confirmed.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Nelson Mandela has passed away

Going to upset some but - Who cares? not me.  Roll eyes
Everyone forgets he was convicted of leading a terrorist bombing campaign in the early 60's. Damn lucky not to hang.
Infinity
Pro

What a tragic coincidence...
Royals, celebrities and members of Nelson Mandela's family attended the UK premiere of the biographical film of his life - oblivious to the fact the man it was about had died only hours earlier.
Mandela's death was announced in South Africa as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge sat down to watch the screening of Long Walk To Freedom, the movie based on his autobiography.

'We have just been reminded what an extraordinary and inspiring man he was':
William's tribute as he and Kate leave premiere of film about Mandela's life... that they viewed unaware he was already dead

William and Kate were informed of his death discreetly by an aide shortly before the end of the film
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518959/Nelson-Mandela-dead-Prince-Williams-tribute-Kate-lea...
Thunderclap
Grafter

My condolences to Nelson Mandela's family.
We shall now be subjected to a period of gratitous mourning from black wearing BBC presenters interviewing anyone with even a tenuous link to the Mandela franchise. $64,000 question is, who gets front row at the funeral? You may now collect your 'inpirational leader' points.
+++ Just been told the Union Flag over Number 10 is flying at half mast as a 'mark of respect' +++
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I think this quote sums up my opinion http://tallbloke.wordpress.com/2013/12/06/severe-north-sea-tidal-surge/
The sad news of Mandela’s death is wiping out much of the immediate media in the UK, a classic overreaction far beyond tasteful. Quiet contemplation is more appropriate. He emerged from hardship as a statesman who demonstrated recrimination can be avoided, a lesson for many. I think that is his legacy.
Infinity
Pro

RT, Russia Today on (SKY) SES Astra  platform at the moment is a Mandela Free Zone.
As is BBC Parliament !

CX
Grafter

God forbid if anyone wanted more than a token effort by the BBC in reporting on the floods. You know, something that's affecting living people in this country, albeit outside of London.
RichAllen
Grafter

If there was flooding in Leeds, the BBC would be running a 30 minute special episode of Look Leeds to cover it.
Infinity
Pro

At the moment, I have both SKY News and BBC News Live on small pop-out windows, so that I can watch the Flooding items, as and when they come on.
On the  TV adjacent to the computer.
Nelson Mandela is just overkill on the News Channels.
It's nearly Tea time anyway, I've managed to avoid most of the NM coverage by catching up with recorded programmes, in the occasional spare moments on a slack day today.
Community Veteran

Someone's been reading Rod Liddle.
I guess the news vultures have been circling for some time and a feeding frenzy was to be expected.
But, no matter how long a family has been expecting a death, it always comes as a shock, and if you're father of a nation, it's a big family. And in this corner of the globe I guess there's a lot of what Liddle calls "self-flagellating white post-colonial bien pensant guilt" to be washed out in public, and Mandela's leaving will be a last chance for those Matthew d'Ancona describes as the "politically scrofulous" to benefit from his Royal Touch.
I remember lefty-baiting Tory students in the eighties, with their witty "Hang Nelson Mandela" slogan, dismissing him as a terrorist. And yes, he did join in changing the ANC from an organisation of non-violent resistance to one of armed resistance - a young man's reaction to Sharpeville and the abomination of apartheid. At a comfortable distance, I may think it was wrong and naive and ineffectual and counterproductive, as it fed the regime's laager mentality, and later degenerated into brutality. In the end, satyagraha was stronger. He came to be seen as the personification of resistance to apartheid, and this gave him a platform to make himself a model and a symbol of peace and reconciliation.
I saw a little of apartheid South Africa, travelling through it as a kid in the 70s, while Mr Mandela was breaking rocks on Robben Island. Everything was reserved for the exclusive use of white persons, "Net Blankes". If I could have scrubbed off my whiteness I would have; it made me feel unclean. It left me with an enduring sense that authority has to earn respect.
John Lloyd wrote a song in the eighties, "I've Never Met a Nice South African", which was bitingly funny - though I did know some genuinely nice South Africans. I'd also met some frighteningly 'nice', God-fearing South Africans who believed that the kindred of their domestic servants were subhuman, incapable of peaceful coexistence, and required vigilant suppression.
I think we can put up with a bit of hagiography.
Gabe
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Gabe
I remember lefty-baiting Tory students in the eighties, with their witty "Hang Nelson Mandela" slogan, dismissing him as a terrorist

Strange that Cameron failed to mention his party's fervent support for the apartheid government in his comments ..
Fixes: 47

Riveting viewing.
BBC Parliament
Live Tributes to Nelson Mandela
14:30 - 22:00
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

An article in the Mail today suggesting there was another side to Mandela: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2520408/DOMINIC-LAWSON-He-giant--absurd-BBC-compare-Mandel...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
An article in the Mail

Okay, so the Daily Mail rips off this Sunday Mirror article, then the journalist makes them take the item down, so they publish a regurgitated hatchet job instead, courtesy of Dominic Lawson. (Lawson ... where have I heard that name before?)
Ah well, they say a dog returns to its vomit.
Gabe
Fixes: 125

I noticed Mandela's death was mentioned on Eastenders last night - they got that in quick.
Is there no escape?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still