cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbours' Wifi

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Neighbours' Wifi

Do you have neighbours with BT internet wifi routers who's coverage swamps yours? How about a 9dBi antenna for your router? All perfectly legal.
These are not allowed though without a licence.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Neighbours' Wifi

No !... I checked my channel with "inSSIDer" and changed to a much less used channel.... most of the neighbours with BT fon thigy` s are on ch 11... some sky ones are on 6 and I am on 7 but the ch6 are very weak.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

We have BT wifi with Fon broadcasting from my hub.  Wish I could deactivate but if I do I can't get BT wifi when out and about.  I also have a public wifi for passer bys and neighboring houses if they at without internet.  I charge them for 24 hrs at a rate of 2.99 which is superfast internet this is set up by hotspotsystem.com for my dd wrt router
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Reset the router, factory reset or press the reset button for 30sec when powering up. You will need to set up everything again, DON'T do a restore as it will restore the fon wifi as well.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Thanks but it wriggles in and activates again as I am a BT customer
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Ahh, didn't know that, if you are a BT customer then you are stuck with it. A PN customer can get rid of it by doing that reset.
And you do get free wifi which we don't.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy

And you do get free wifi which we don't

You will have to spend some more time on Samba, then !  ...  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I did once try swapping the small 2dBi antenna on my router with a longer 5dBi one, it appeared to make no improvement or possibly make the signal slightly weaker.
The networks I can see around me at the moment:
ch1: me, an old O2 router, and a new Sky router
ch6: a BTHub3, another new Sky, and a new virginmedia
ch11: another BTHub3, and a newish TalkTalk router
I can usually see a couple of other BTHub3s and perhaps a BTHub4. None of these neighbouring networks seem to cause me any trouble, but then the signal strengths of them when they reach me are in the barely detectable range.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

When my home network consisted of multiple wireless to ethernet bridges,  fitting 9dBi aerials to the wireless access point, AND the bridges, made a big improvement in both range and signal quality.
Now I have converted mostly to powerline adaptors which feed localized wireless access points, so I no longer have the need for high gain aerials.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

can you have different branded powerline adapters so like diagram below
Internet (router)
|
V
          MAIN (TP-LINK feeding 2 adapters)-----> Secondary TP link (giving out internet
                                                                 |---> 3rd powerline adapter (Devolo) giving out internet.
Community Veteran

How to boost your router`s wifi signal strength..... 
-HBY
She is cute... but talks too fast... and the nerd doing the "demo" on the beer can is lucky to still have his thumbs.....
Seeing the finished result, I now know where the term "hacking" a wifi comes from.... he certainly did hack that beer can, and would you want something as tacky as that in your living room?
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Hi all, Bought a HH3 typeB from a car boot yesterday to see if the wifi was stronger than the plusnet provided router,no problems,setting it up and it seems to be working OK if you haven't downloaded any software to view other routers broadcast channels near you,found a little tip, open command prompt and type:
        netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid          then press enter
cheers
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

How much was the HH3 may I ask?
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

£4.50 it still had the plastic film on the front  Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Wow thats a bargain!!!  Cheesy Smiley