cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbour's overkill

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Neighbour's overkill

I've just been running a WiFi monitoring tool. I have 9 other wireless routers in "sight", my immediate neighbour has a beast with the strongest signal that occupies a block of  6 WiFi channels and has a data rate of 150 mbs. I know for a fact he has only 5mbs of broadband and a single notebook computer in the house. That is overkill!
Is it time to dig out an old WiFi router where I can set the MAC address to equal his?  Grin
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
5 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Neighbour's overkill

your lucky, I hvae two near me taking up nearly all the space, and a TT one wth a higher signal than mine
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Last time i went out on the pavement with my netbook there were about 18 WIFI APs... and nearly all of them on channel 1  Shocked
I'll bet there are a lot of people moaning about their signals in this area  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
stephenw10
Grafter

A little over two years ago I set up a box running OpenWRT and Kismet drone connected to an antenna on my roof.
I'm sure there are more than that now but at the time there were nearly 300 detectable networks!  Roll eyes
Steve
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

While I remember, have you seen this site?  http://samy.pl/androidmap/ ; ?
Android smartphones map every Wifi point when someone walks past it then gets fed back to the Chocolate Factory
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
stephenw10
Grafter

Well that's pretty scary!  Shocked
Time to periodically spoof my MAC.  Wink
Steve