cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a little advice

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Need a little advice

How does this sound to you guys, one of our neighbours put up a for sale sign 10 meters away from their home on the corner of our grove on a nice little patch of green close to the main rd. I thought the sign had to be on the property itself. Any thoughts.
14 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Need a little advice

[quote=my local council's website]You may need to apply for advertisement consent to display an advertisement bigger than 0.3 square metres (or any size if illuminated) on the front of, or outside, your property (be it a house or business premises).
Therefore, you are unlikely to need consent for a small sign with your house/building name or number on it, or even a sign saying 'Beware of the dog'.
Temporary notices up to 0.6 square metres relating to local events, such as street parties and concerts, may also be displayed for a short period. There are different rules for estate agents' boards, but, in general, these should not be bigger than 0.5 square metres.
The planning regime for larger, professional adverts, signs for businesses and so on is complex though all outdoor advertisements must comply with five 'standard conditions'.
They must:
    be kept clean and tidy
    be kept in a safe condition
    have the permission of the owner of the site on which they are displayed(this includes the Highway Authority if the sign is to be placed on highway land)
    not obscure, or hinder the interpretation of, official road, rail, waterway or aircraft signs, or otherwise make hazardous the use of these types of transport
    be removed carefully where so required by the planning authority.

It's not clear if the 5 conditions actually apply to private sellers but, if so .then permission must be sought from owner of the site.
Not sure if that's any help to you.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Think it depends on local authority  regulations
following from Basingstoke
Any board advertising property for sale or to let must be displayed on the property to which it relates.
.................A board positioned on a highway verge advertising an adjacent property would also be illegal, as the board is not displayed on the property advertised.

Community Veteran

Yes it is controlled by local authorities but I wouldn't be surprised if the board just disappeared one night Crazy
TORPC
Grafter

Kids can't leave things alone, can they Wink
Community Veteran

itsme
Grafter

I see plenty of for sale signs on the highway so either they get permission from the council or the council turn a blind eye. Yesterday was an example where a sign was on the highway for a property half a mile down a forestry commission private track.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There was a sign up at the entrance to a cul-de-sac advertising a couple of houses for sale along the a second sale sign at the houses in question but for some reason several people had called at the house nearest to the entrance thinking that one was for sale.
There were also instances where estate agents were putting up notices alongside other agencies even though they had no house for sale in that area but simply to give the impression that they did.
Fortunately the local authority cracked down on this practice as the number of boards appearing was an eyesore.
Talking of advertising I have seen a number  of  roundabouts with advertising signs, personally I think this should be made illegal and only notices relevant to directions should be approved.
Community Veteran

A lot of our roundabouts have a notice to say the roundabout has been sponsored by a local business who pay to have flowers etc planted to make it look nice Smiley I think this is good Smiley A very pleasant roundabout paid for by private business and a spot of advertising for that business Smiley Surely you can't mean this Undecided
Fixes: 125

We have a few roundabout here like that. Very pleasing to the eye and the adverts aren't too obtrusive.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

All very good, but I do not display advertisements. I do display Works of Art.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
A lot of our roundabouts have a notice to say the roundabout has been sponsored by a local business who pay to have flowers etc planted to make it look nice Smiley I think this is good Smiley A very pleasant roundabout paid for by private business and a spot of advertising for that business Smiley Surely you can't mean this Undecided
Yes I mean it. Companies only sponsor things that make money for them. If you drive properly, which I am sure you do, there are many things that can distract you at a roundabout in an area that you may never have visited before, not only are you looking for signs for the correct road and making sure you are not in a lane which has an arrow forcing you to go left rather than going straight on but also observing what other drivers are doing approaching the roundabout from different directions.
One piece of advice that has saved me from a number of accidents is to consider every other driver on the road as an idiot and from some of the things I have seen there are plenty of idiots about on our roads which include those with no driving licence or insurance or high on cannabis or other substances, so in summary the only thing that should be displayed at roundabouts is essential information.
Smiley Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Yes I mean it. Companies only sponsor things that make money for them.

I would have no argument with that. The company benefits and so does the local community Smiley
Some companies would also do it to be good neighbours Smiley
Community Veteran

Sogns and advertising policies vary wildly from one council to another.
I know of one council that won't even allow a for sale sign inside a car - they'll claim you need a street traders licence and then prosecute if the owner fails to comply with their warnings. Other councils couldn't care less if you build a garden wall!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The rules are set the same for all: Town & Country regs but the local council can add to that if they feel the need to. I spoke to a few reputable estate agents today and they said this is a DO NOT DO scenario. Which is all I needed to know. Many thanks for all your comments by the way.