cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Near field communication coming to a phone nere you!

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Near field communication coming to a phone nere you!

Hi All
I have just finished watching BBC Click in was on NFC, from the program all mobile phones will have NFC built in to the mobile phone, at the minute the only mobile phone maker that is not going to have NFC is Apple's iPhone built in to the mobile phone.  Angry
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Near field communication coming to a phone nere you!

Yet another reason for dumping my iPhone Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

What a bad report, I more confused now are the phones going to be active or passive. Contact payment systems are passive with the use of RFID's so are these phones passive with just an RFID's or active so that they can read RFID's?
Fixes: 104

Quote from: Strat
Yet another reason for dumping my iPhone Smiley

But it's available in white! How dare you.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@itsme:- agree with you, confusing
found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication which explained it a bit better.
Still am not sure if network coverage is a requirement.
itsme
Grafter

I prefer the watch route that Swatch use. Currently I can only use it for Ski passes but in Switzerland you can use it to gain entry into venues instead of using tickets http://www.swatch.com/zz_en/snowpass/onlineticketing.html
itsme
Grafter

Just another thought if RFID's are fitted in the phones then this could cause me a problem when using the Swatch as the turnstiles are not happy when thy can pick up more than one RFID. I also received my first Credit Card last week with Contactless payment and I have another due for replacement at the end of the year so skiing next season may be interesting.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
What a bad report, I more confused now are the phones going to be active or passive. Contact payment systems are passive with the use of RFID's so are these phones passive with just an RFID's or active so that they can read RFID's?

Thay will be active so that they can read RFID's
It all hinges of who is able to control the NFC Tag.
[quote="Weekend Project: Make Your Own NFC Tags"]
Currently, his NFC Action Launcher application supports these tasks:
Enable / Disable / Toggle Wifi
Enable / Disable / Toggle Bluetooth
Launch any installed Application
Connect to any known SSID
Configure a new Wifi Connection and connect
Configure and enable Portable Hotspot
Enable / Disable Auto-sync
Launch any Tasker Task (for users of Tasker)

Changing Phone Ringtone
Change Notification Tone
Changing Ringer Mode (Normal/Silent/Vibrate)
Changing Ringer Volume
Changing Media Volume
Changing Alarm Volume
Changing Notification Volume
No thank you I don't want it
[Edit]
[quote="Google Mobile settings"]
NFC
If your phone supports Near-Field Communication, check to allow applications to use NFC to read NFC tags and to make NFC tags on your phone readable by other NFC devices. Uncheck this setting to disable NFC on your phone. You work with NFC tags with the Tags application; see Tags
which doesn't mean another APP or hack can't surreptitiously switch it back on!
Ways to permanently disable such devices when unwanted or undesirable.
[quote="HOW TO – disable RFID tags"]
The main reason someone would want to block or destroy RFID chips would be to maintain privacy. In the last step I explained that RFID tags can be read from very long distances. The potential for abuse of this technology grows as more and more products and devices are being created with these tags built in.
[Snip]
The last (and most covert) method for destroying a RFID tag is to hit it with a hammer. Just pick up any ordinary hammer and give the chip a few swift hard whacks. This will destroy the chip, and leave no evidence that the tag has been tampered with. This method is suitable for destroying the tags in passports, because there will be no proof that you intentionally destroyed the chip.

Grin  
The Best way in put your Card in a faraday cage wallet or Phone in a faraday cage phone pouch, mind you it will kill your Phones signal.
David_W
Rising Star

NFC has been out for a [blong time in Japan, they are really used to just waving their mobile at things to get stuff paid for, train tickets, vending machines, usual stuff that over here we dip into our pockets for change (or an Oyster card which I believe is NFC).  Apple are planning NFC but not the same as everyone else, they want their own system in place (probably so they can charge 30% on every transaction).
Not sure if you could use it to pay for petrol though, you'd pull your phone out ready to pay and someone would shout at you "oi, you can't use that in ere!".
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not sure if it is NFC reading the Wiki, but my old photo works Identity card opened the security gate when you got near the reader, and that came in in early 1996, it was also logged time in and out on the central  system
tinto
Grafter

At the risk of showing my age, I have to confess the preceding debate in jargon and/or initials is double dutch to me.
Does anyone else remember the good old days when a telephone was a means of talking to someone else rather than a status symbol? 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Thats all mine is. A basic £15 mobile from Tesco. No custom ringtones, no mp3/radio, no nothing basically. Just phone and texts oh and it has a blacklist to block unwanted callers or texters. Came in very handy at my last job for a boss who would ring you up at 8:30am to be a dick after just finishing a 12 hour night shift at 6am.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
David_W
Rising Star

If you compare phones in the West to phones in Japan you'll notice a staggering difference in what the phones can do, want a phone that is also a TV?  You can in Japan!  I think it's all down to cultural and technological differences.  Over here we tend to use our PC's for everything and our phones for basic stuff like calls, texts and games.  In Japan they use their mobile phones for everything, emails are mostly sent via mobile phone (they email probably as frequently as we text).  In Japan the "smartphone" market is tiny, only a few percentage, the rest if what are known as "feature phones" and have bits of technology that are quite amazing (it helps that there network is heavily advanced).
Over here the phone has evolved to take the place of other devices, you can use it to make calls but also as a camera (so no need to buy a separate one unless you want a really good camera), a music player, calendar etc. so it replaces a lot of different devices and puts it into one device, no need for an ipod, a pda or things like that.
As long as standards remain and the mobile phone companies stick to the standards (so you can use an Android or a Nokia or a Blackberry interchangeably) then there is no reason why phones can't take over the tasks of the Oyster card or debit cards (for small transactions), it's when we get disparate standards that phones start to fail and we have to use "normal" methods.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
but my old photo works Identity card opened the security gate when you got near the reader,

NFC sound more like the 'proximity' lock on a hire car I use in the US, when I get 'near' (3 meters) the car the car unlocked automatically, I thought NFC was something more.
Agree with David W about the cultural difference, parts of Japan still don't have broadband coverage, yet there is almost 100% mobile phone coverage (forced on by a government need for emergency contingency procedures).
Here in the UK both Broad band and Mobile phone network coverage are market driven, not by a government requirement.