cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nazi ghost train full of treasure has been found

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Nazi ghost train full of treasure has been found

I'll be watching the developments in this story with interest.. Apparently the nazis hid / abandoned a train full of treasure in the polish mountains in a railway tunnel. It's sat there only remembered in folklore ever since.
Two treasure hunters claim they've now found it and have a law firm representing them in order to claim 10% of the findings. It's all over all the news sites to i'm giving you a slightly more upmarket news source for once:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11812174/Has-a-lost-Nazi-ghost-train-carryi...
You can find it on all the news sites via google..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Nazi ghost train full of treasure has been found

Interesting but the final sentence may well turn out to be true......"They may have found the train but not the Gold"
So what odds are you giving that their is gold on the train ?
Fixes: 47

Must have been awkward for other train drivers going through the tunnel and having to go round it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
So what odds are you giving that their is gold on the train ?

Well I would assume that the men have at least boarded the train and inspected some of it - probably without a thought to their own welfare at the thought of finding it. I doubt they've just found it and decided "right mate thats full of gold" type of thing.. they must have inspected it to be sure its worth wasting their time.
Quote from: Strat
Must have been awkward for other train drivers going through the tunnel and having to go round it.

Well from the several articles i've read the line was abandoned / forgotten about / removed / buried. It would appear that the actual tunnel itself probably had its portals infilled along with their cuttings (something british rail did here after the beeching axe with many of our tunnels). If the rails had also been pulled up then the average joe over the decades would have no idea it was ever there which would explain the difficulty in finding it. As soon as i read it i was straight onto google earth. Now normally you over here you can see disused railways pretty quickly on google earth as they're incredibly hard to erase from the landscape (not like you're going to remove an embankment with a spade is it) however out there near the mentioned castle it took me a good few minutes to see the suspected railway line - but once i saw the tell tale signs it was almost impossible to miss. From the ground though, it would be very hard to spot anything in woods that have been growing for 60 odd years.
This is the area in general and we now know its near the castle:

If we zoom in, to the average joe there is nothing to be seen however if you look closely, there is actually an accurate curve where there was once a line - possibly more, heading towards the woods:

As first you might think thats a coincidence however for some quirky reason, disused railways always seem to grow trees at the sides of the former line - rarely in the middle where the rails where. I've no idea why but i've seen it time and time again. For this reason I'm sure that is a railway curve.. possibly a former set of points there and a possibly loop once existing there too.
If you look lower down, evidence backs it up - this is the dead end of the existing railway (which still has rails there) - which connects to the rest of the railway.. however this is where that line would have once connected to:

On the left there seems to be a cutting which after 60 - 70 years might not have been immediately obvious to the locals as a railway cutting (if anyone even knew it was there other than the farmer) :

That said i originally thought it ran slightly south and someone has posted a photo of the what i think might be a cutting.. which is inconclusive - it could be man made but if it was, it's not looking very man made now:

It seems viable that there may have been two possible routes out of the woods from imagery further along:

The articles state it was in a tunnel by the castle so it would appear to be along that route I would imagine. That said the Project Riese apparently consisted of 5.5 miles of tunnels and i think 7 of them in total so it may have deviated further under the castle OR been a tunnel leading off a tunnel.. that had been bricked up etc.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I think the problem was the shelling from the advancing Russians triggered the charges that blew the tunnel out around the train, certainly it was what everyone believed happened when the train never emerged from the mountain line, its also worth noting the Nazis were prolific tunnel builders, they had an underground rail link from Dusseldorf to berlin (and several other places) most of those systems were also inadvertently destroyed by advancing troops, and the remainder were deliberately flooded by the Nazis to deny the allies of their use.
you can never underestimate the sheer lunacy of the fanatic and its long been known that several of the reich's leadership descended into the tunnel network at Belsen having left orders for the ss detachment to flood them 20 minutes later (by emptying the watertowers and blowing the water main)
the reason why so many searches in the past have been unsuccessful are likely down to the plethora of underground and over ground routes destroyed both by looters and by fighting (the Nazis laid the rail lines but the locals didn't benefit from them so the fist chance they got they stole all the materials they could destroying any trace of the old rail lines for many years)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The Nazis never built any tunnels, the ones who built the tunnels were prisoners mainly from Russia and the Baltic states, there are a number of museums that have photographic evidence of this, one example is the underground hospital at Guernsey.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
they stole all the materials they could destroying any trace of the old rail lines for many years)

Even so, you can't usually erase disused railways from the earth so easily. Embankments, cuttings, odd bridges etc.. they are significant structures that are usually visible for a very long time. This line however appears to be almost gone. If you look at the last photo i posted you can barely see whats left of it on the lower route out of those woods (which of the two, i believe is more likely to be a railway line).
Anyway i'm fascinated by this story, not just because of the treasure but the actual train and the tunnel. Imagine that.. stood there buried for 60-70 years and found after all this time. I'd be very interested to see photos of the train or even see it one day in person. I know some poles from that area so i might get to do that one day..
Community Veteran

I would imagine most of the "lost" gold is in Swiss banks. Probably under German accounts.
With the paltry amount paid out in war reparations to compensate slave labour most (probably) still remains untouched.
Community Veteran

The finding of this train has now been CONFIRMED by the polish authorities. It's location is still subject to speculation however the latest theory is that it's here:

Polish authorities are now saying that they intend to return any found treasures to those it rightfully belongs to. Considering it was supposed to have come from jews in the form of tooth fillings etc, I think it's only fair it goes back to them - they were subjects of terrible atrocities.
I bet that will upset the german man of the two men who found it.
The telegraph are live reporting on this each day - More here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/11830226/Nazi-gold-train-found-live.html
Community Veteran

BBC2 had an interesting program about this tonight... it'll be on iPlayer no doubt.

The two hunters dug up several holes at k65 (different from previous theories of its location) but found nothing claiming that they had been blocked by rock and needed to go deeper.

I still reckon that somewhere in that region there is a stash waiting to be found. I just need to put me together an old coach full of exploration supplies (scuba gear / oxygen, metal detectors, drills, fibre cameras, FLIR etc) and i'll be sorted to go and find the thing. That or I need to borrow the mole from international rescue lol.

Minivanman
Hero

And Wren never built St Paul's, Capability Brown never dug over a flower bed and Brunel never laid a railway track! Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

7up wrote:

I need to borrow the mole from international rescue lol.

You don't want to do that. The chances are you'll pick the wrong mole and end up with Doug McClure as co-pilot.

Then before you know it you'll be at the centre of the earth under the thrall of mind sucking giant parrots.

Minivanman
Hero

Stolen gold from God knows where, no doubt much of it as you say stashed in those Swiss bank accounts. 

As for any ghosts, numbered amongst them will be the millions who were shot, gassed and burned in those death camps. Happy spending on any proceeds as they stand behind. Simply shameful in my eyes.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Very interesting TV Smiley  it gives more questions than answers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07yc9zf/hunting-the-nazi-gold-train

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:
Happy spending on any proceeds as they stand behind. Simply shameful in my eyes.

Dude seriously read to the end of the thread before commenting... the train has not been found where they reckoned it was.

Granted they say they need to dig deeper but they've still not found it.