cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nature at "work"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Nature at "work"

Every Tuesday morning I have to leave out a plastic bag for collection containing the medical refuse that is used due to my wife's disabilities. The bag is bright yellow. Within a few minutes of putting the bag on our doorstep a large bumble bee alighted on the bag and proceeded to attempt to pollinate it.
I needed to add more items to the bag, the bumble bee was trying to get into the knot that closed the bag, since I needed to open the bag I gently pushed the bumble bee to one side but it slid further than intended and fell right off the bag and on to the slatted wooden step, almost immediately four legs of a spider from under the slat attempted to grab the bumble bee but it got away and started to climb the nearby wall. As soon as I re knotted the bag the bumble bee flew back to attend to the knot again.
Feeling sorry for the bumble bee and seeing that the spider was on patrol nearby, I let the bumble bee crawl onto my hand and set on a nearby rose. It seemed quite grateful.
Its quite chilly and the bumble bee was quite slow and not flying too well. But I'm not a great lover of creepy crawlies but bumble bees don't bother me at all. They seem to quite like humans and will happily sit on a hand for a while checking you out before flying away.
And, we need them, so no swatting of bumble bees please it one comes to say hello to you
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
2 REPLIES
thejudge
Grafter

Re: Nature at "work"

In my experience, if you leave bumblies alone, they'll do the same to you. I love watching them mooch around, which is why I have buddleia, wallflowers, snapdragons and fuchsias in my garden.
The only time I was ever stung by a bumble, it was because I was wearing shorts, it was camouflaged by the living-room carpet, and I knelt on it.
All wasps, however, should be terminated with extreme prejudice...
Community Veteran

Re: Nature at "work"

Bumble bees always have struck me as pretty and harmless creatures. especially the huge ones you see sometimes.
If I see one grounded by the cold I always pick them up and hold them a few minutes to warm up and fly off.