Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National trust or English heritage?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

National trust or English heritage?

Which is best NT or EH?
There are two of us. I'm 60,  the first wife ( I introduce her like that, it keeps her on her toes) is a few years younger. We live in East Anglia.
We plan on visiting more monuments, sites, stately homes etc. But we can't decide which is the better option.
Anyone got any good or bad reviews please?
7 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star

Re: National trust or English heritage?

Surely it's down to what properties you want to visit?  What do you have local to you and where are you likely to travel?  NT are predominantly houses, estates and gardens whereas EH also have castles and monuments etc.
Don't forget that other organisations have reciprocal membership so joining them may make more sense to you?  A famous 'fiddle' is to join the New Zealand equivalent of the NT as an example (though the reciprocal membership doesn't include car parking).  Of course joining a cheaper organisation may not be 'in the spirit' of joining a charitable organisation!
In our case, we're members of CADW (The Welsh equivalent of EH) as we joined up in Wales and NTS (National Trust Scotland) as they allow monthly direct debit rather than paying a large amount out annually.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pwatson
Surely it's down to what properties you want to visit?  What do you have local to you and where are you likely to travel?  NT are predominantly houses, estates and gardens whereas EH also have castles and monuments etc.
Agreed! Where I last lived there plenty of NT sites, whereas now, although quite near to HQ there seems far fewer
Don't forget that other organisations have reciprocal membership so joining them may make more sense to you?
What other organisations are you meaning? It would be nice if NT and EH could come to some mutual arrangement.
Paying two subs for some folk is too high an expense.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

National Trust....  now that`s a name to conjure up a sense of pride in where we live....   it is "National" and we can "Trust" it.... because they are "saving `it` for the nation"....
English Heritage... another evocative name.... and doing pretty much the same job... We are "English" and we have a "Heritage"... and they are a charity, too !.
Now, I realise that both these organisations have to raise money for their pet projects, and they do this in different ways.... e.g  extortionate car parking charges, extortionate entry charges , and membership fees, ( which only partially reduce the extortionate entry charges to the priveliged who can afford the yearly membership fee)...
To make it worthwhile, you need to visit a few places each year... however, after about 2 or 3 years, your costs are going to increase, year on year, because you will have visited all the "easy to get to, local " places, and will therefore have to plan whole day trips to places further and further afield, as the years go by, to "make use of the membership fee"... or... you cancel the membership fee, and then you won`t go to visit those places that are so far away, that they require a military style plan on the scale of dunkirk.... ( well, perhaps not as bad as that....but you get my drift !  )..
For the "occasional" visitor, who has not sufficient funds to "give away" to either organisaton, for an annual fee,.... and who may have a couple of kids, and wants to take them to a local castle, or historic house as a treat, it will cost them a small fortune, in carparkiing,... entrance fees, and if they so desire, the overpriced gifts in the "gift" shop,... or maybe they will want to have the traditional (again, overpriced ) cup of tea and some cake to finish off the day...
so... are they really " saving it for the nation".. or just "in it" for the sake of making money (under the guise of their respective title)..   to pay their "executors" high salaries, and the Kudos that goes with " I am the "head honcho" ..... of ...... you name it place/organisation...
The RNLI is a charity, and they have survived entirely on public donations,,,, and they certainly do " save it for the nation".....    Makes you think..... doesn`t it  ? ? ? ?  
beeceegee
Rising Star

We have both, but tbh don't use EH much - there's only Audley End worth visiting within about 30 miles of us. We were talked into it at Carisbrooke Castle on the IoW, an 18 month sub at the 12 month senior rate (even though wife was still 59). Visiting Osborne House as well pretty much paid for the sub that year
NT has places we like to visit again and again, Wimpole & Anglesey Abbey are very close, days out to the Norfolk & Suffolk houses, and our annual Cornish holiday make it very cost effective
We do still occasionally use the EH sub, but one downside (depending on your point of view) is that during holiday periods they tend to be heaving with families at special "events". If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful stroll then maybe EH is not for you!
Community Veteran

Beeceegee, curiously enough I am takiing a coachload of fifty kids to Wimpole Hall tomorrow.  You seem to live in the same or similar region to us, and your advice about NT v EH seems sound. Thanks.  Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star

Sounds like your both not a million miles from me.  We mainly use the membership during holidays but the ability to go for a wander round Wimpole for a bit is useful.  We've also discovered Wrest Park (EH) and more than once we've gone there for an hour or so on a Sunday afternoon - Something that we definitely wouldn't do if we had to pay admission each time!
As I said, look at where you're likely to visit and what makes sense for you...
beeceegee
Rising Star

Quote from: doris
curiously enough I am takiing a coachload of fifty kids to Wimpole Hall tomorrow.  

Heh, must be lambing time at the farm. Wimpole is only about 7 miles from us, Anglesey Abbey about 15, so NT membership is a no-brainer really. Discovered Wrest Park a couple of years back and have visited it a few times, but most of the EH sites round about are just a bridge or dovecot or a pile of stones! Plus although Audley End is spectacular, it's not somewhere I like to visit often