Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Service..... not just for Royals

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

National Service..... not just for Royals

Prince Harry has called for the country to bring back National Service after revealing his time in the Army 'saved' him.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-harry/11610690/Prince-Harry-calls-to-bring-back-Nation...
Before my time, I'm sure others have memories ?
30 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: National Service..... not just for Royals

a lot of people want national service to be re-introduced but there are some heavyweight opposition most notably from the military itself, national service would be in my view is a generally positive experience for youngsters but it does have a high national price tag, most other countries in the world have gotten rid of it on the grounds of being unaffordable or having an undesirable impact on its citizens (the latter part certainly applies to groups like labour who despise the virtues instilled in people by undergoing the national service process), I would like to see it re-implemented in the UK, it would have a duel purpose of ensuring the UK always had a massive number of trained reserves to call upon in time of need, it would teach the feckless youths that they get out of life what they put into it and a few other things to boot (like respect and loyalty both being a two way street that is hard to earn and easy to loose)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I agree 100%. National Service should be brought back. If cost is an issue how much money could be saved with the Courts, Social Services, Probation Services etc, not having to deal with the huge number of disrespectful scrotes that end up on their books due to their behaviour. There was a program on the TV ages ago called 'Bad Lads Army' and if memory serves me right the result of their time in the 50s Army, for the majority, was good.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What did it save Harry from?
While I'll agree that it should be brought back in some form, we are no longer a militant country and it should not be forced on anyone other than the criminal young - burglars, druggies and the like who need some discipline.
The rest of the nation who are law abiding shouldn't be forced to do anything they don't want to do - this is what we call democracy.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

C`mon 7up...... we are in a "modern world"..
Whilst the old original Royal Navy, employed thugs to go around and "press gang" poor souls into the Navy..since before WW1, the armed services have become more "professional" and technically expert at doing the jobs required of them......
This means that the personnel have to be of a "certain standard" of education, and have a commitment to doing the job to the best of their ability, and in some cases exceed the expectations of those they serve....i.e. YOU... and me...  and the rest of  the country.
Why should our armed sevices be used as a "dumping ground" for the dregs of society?
who would you rather have defending you?
Dedicated professional people, that have been highly trained, not just once, but repeatedly, and brought up  to newer standards...

or some professional druggy/burglar etc, who`s only ambition would be to disrupt the service they have been allocated to, to ensure and "early release" back into their own social world.
Your suggestion is an insult to each and every one of our existing, serving personnel... and those who have gone before them.... including me.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: 7up
What did it save Harry from?
Good question hopefully someone can enlighten us.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Why should our armed sevices be used as a "dumping ground" for the dregs of society?

Well lets face it, the army has a unique way of disciplining it's people and frankly, I don't see why drug dealers, burglars and the like should repeatedly given soft punishments because they have the right to a family life just because they have a hamster in the living room. This country has gone mad.
Once upon a time doing something wrong and being punished was something to fear. Now todays filth just laugh.. while playing their PS3, XBOX or mobile phone games inside their jail cell - if they ever see the inside of one.
Quote from: shutter
who would you rather have defending you?
Dedicated professional people, that have been highly trained, not just once, but repeatedly, and brought up  to newer standards...

or some professional druggy/burglar etc, who`s only ambition would be to disrupt the service they have been allocated to, to ensure and "early release" back into their own social world.

There is such a thing as a reformed character. Most crims that I've known tend to be people who come from families / parents that couldn't be bothered to teach them right and wrong for whatever reason. Lets face it, those who are disciplined by the forces tend to come back out as different characters. Many of them tend to be aggressive but they tend to at least stay on the straight and narrow.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

such people should be dragged out of the dungeon on the edge of the public square at daybreak and placed into stocks, then flogged at noon and taken from the stocks at last light returned to the dungeon and then rinse repeat every day for 6 months to instill into them a sense of personal worth, such brutality will ensure they don't re-offend and then the job will be done, the military doesn't have time to deal with such people however and regularly refuses to take such slime on.
two things have changed since the old days of prison or service , the first is that a serving member of the military is no longer segregated from wider society so the ranks have ot be made up of "good people"  who act in a professional manner at all times to show off the best the services have to offer, and two the ranks are no longer permitted to commit rape n pillage when overseas as desired!
so no they would be useless for the military, however to incentivise people into service one could give them a citizenship card for doing a term of service (5 years say) that would permit them to vote and have a cheaper rate of taxation and so on, that would engender people to service and if they want to live without penalties in later life mean they will give the country their early adult years to shape into the leaders of tomorrow giving the nation a massive boost to its skilled and unskilled workforce and allow it to once again start producing professional people who are fit to be in the work place !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Your response is still and insult, to all personnel, serving and previous....
Once again.... you equate service personnel with the lowest form of life, when they are usually very highly skilled and very highly trained..... BECAUSE THEY WANT TO BE THE BEST... not because they are being punished..
You see the services as a punishment for the miscreants.... Let me tell you something.... I, and millions of other service personnel are very offended by your response...
The Army, Navy, Air Force and Royal Marines, all have discipline, but it is not the kind of discipline you appear to think it is.... unique?  yes it certainly is... and I am proud and honoured to have been trained to very high standards, by my seniors, who all understood the professionalism and discipline required to provide the country with the quality armed forces they have..... despite continuing governmental reductions in their budgets.
Why didn`t you say that these miscreants should be signed up to the police force? and get some discipline?  or maybe you think they should be allocated to classrooms full of kids, because teachers also have discipline instilled into them during training... oh... hang on a minute... just about every profession you can think of.... requires discipline, that is "unique" to itself...
The armed forces are not the dumping grounds for society`s misfits, criminals, etc...... if society is dishing out "soft punishment" then it is up to you, as a voter, to change society, and to respect those who decide to lay down their lives, in a voluntary armed services, so that you can insult them freely.
To me, you, and your insulting respons, are just as bad as the drug dealers, burglars and the like, that you despise so much......

valart
Grafter

I did my national service in 1955 I had a great time I went abroad places like Malta,North Africa went in as a boy came out a man wonderful experience
Community Veteran

Were you a criminal?  Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

shutter did you not see lads army on ITV many moons ago? It was a show taking young men who'd been troublesome and put them through the army paces - teaching them discipline at the same time.
EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia7kxS_0Ilo
They knew how to deal with trouble back then. Oh yes.. how dare i post that, ITV are insulting people too  Roll eyes
Yes the forces need skilled, respectable people but national service also had it's part in society decades ago - and those people even today tend to be very decent people.
I am not trying to offend any military personnel shutter - you're taking it the wrong way. What I am saying is that we should bring back a national service type program that does take in the unruly and put them through their paces and make them into respectable people. It worked moons ago, why are you so adamant it would be an insult to do it again?
itsme
Grafter

Because National Service was there to prepare for war not to punish.
Community Veteran

Thats true but today we have a prison service that isn't fit for purpose and it's the states duty to punish these people. They need to look again at what they do with reoffenders.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: 7up
They need to look again at what they do with reoffenders.

They already have looked at it, and decided that a slap on the wrist and saying "Now don't do it again" is the best way... Grin