cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nasty email malware

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Nasty email malware

I've just had a nasty email containing malware of the disk encrypter/ /.zip attachment type. In itself it was easy for an experienced person to spot. However the nasty bit was it was copied to all the previously used variations of my business email addresses. It is difficult to work out how they got this data. There's no site where I've used all of those variations of email address. The range of email accounts addressed is not presently stored on any of the email servers we use, nor are all of those email addresses on any of my PCs or laptop computers.
It is as if the people generating the malware emails has culled data from several or more sites and merged it to build up a complete picture of email addresses I've used for the business.email in the past. It points to the use of some very clever software and considerable processing power  for spearphishing emails. It is quite an advancement over previous stuff.
The email was purportedly an mms picture via Vodafone. If the message headers are to be believed the email originated in Beirut Lebanon.
Be alert out there.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
2 REPLIES
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: Nasty email malware

Just a thought, have those previous email addresses existed on the same mail server?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Nasty email malware

The email addresses have been on the same server but with a gap of more than 3 years. Some of  my addresses existing on the server have not been used by the criminals.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.