cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nasty chemical in cosmetics and lotions

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Nasty chemical in cosmetics and lotions

Mrs Adair and I caught a BBC radio report yesterday as we were driving to check progress on the building works in our new west wing. It was about an additive Methylisothiazolinone which appears to cause an allergic reaction in too many cases. We spent this morning checking labels and chucking out products containing the beastly stuff.  An over-reaction maybe but I'd hate to become sensitised to this chemical merely to protect suppliers profit margins.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
3 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Nasty chemical in cosmetics and lotions

this was reported back in the summer when people suffered adverse reactions to the same chemical in short duration sun lotion (tan oil iirc) that they kept on far past the recommended few hours ,,,,,,
like anything in cosmetics though unless its been tested on animals its effects are unknown so formulations get created without any real-world knowledge of dose rates and because regulation is so poor products are often on sale for weeks /months before the regulatory body has even looked at the product submission for approval
a rather laxidasical system that needs a serious overhaul, and much better regulation instead of trusting that some in it for the profits company will have tested there product in some satisfactory way (now that animal testing has stopped and its too expensive to bother with ....)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'd be far more concerned about the number of products containing dihydrogen monoxide which is responsible for a huge number of deaths around the world every year.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
myredhotcar
Grafter

"The proper old bands. You'd buy the singles, wouldn't you? The old singles they used to have in the old days. The proper ones. Very nostalgic feelings towards Woolworths. The pick 'n' mix. Remember the pick 'n' mix in Woolworths? All the sweets individually wrapped. Proper, old-fashioned sweets, yeah? Not like the sweets they have now, all with knives in them and AIDS.”
Stewart Lee